new to channel switching - what should I check out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BattleAngel, May 23, 2008.

1. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Hey folks - it's been a surprisingly long time since I've messed around with channel switching amps, but my gigging situation is necessitating one. Probably the most cost effective thing is just to find a series one Knucklehead and use a reverb pedal - I had a Knucklehead years ago and it was completely usable although not exactly the most inspiring amp I've ever played. But I'd like to check out what's going on in the channel switching world and see if anyone has any recommendations for a 2CH amp with a great clean and a soulful OD channel. I think the CAA stuff seems a little hyped for my tastes, although I've never played one - that's the impression I get. I probably don't need more than 50W and reverb would be a plus. Effects loop not necessary. Off the top of my head some choices I can come up with myself are a Two Rock Emerald Pro or a Carr Slant6 - solid amps with tone that'll get the job done. I'm not looking to get into mega-boutique land - ie. amp heads that are 3k+ - just want a functional channel switcher w/ an inspiring organic tone.

Thanks for the help, gang!

2. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

I guess there's always the Bogner Shiva as well - does anyone know where that "super shiva" got to?

3. rnm14

rnm14 Member

Check out the Orange Rockerverb series. I had a fifty and it was one of the very few amps I have played where I liked both channels.

4. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

One stop shopping- Egnater!

5. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker Member

Hoffmann Valkyrie 3 Channel. Huge clean, really nice 2 channel and great overdrive channel. Highest headroom clean channel of any switcher I have ever owned. www.hoffmannamps.com.

6. Den

Den Member

Although it's actually a three-channel amp, I'd suggest you take a look at Andy Fuchs TDS-50 ... amazing tone machine.

7. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Budda Superdrive 18.... I have played Bogners, Fuchs, Two-rock, and orange and the Budda is my favorite channel switcher.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Carol-Ann is a GREAT two channel amp, I really dig mine.

9. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

+1 for the Egnater. The Mod50 is the best channel switching amp I've ever played, and the modular system gives you the ability to make those channels sound like anything.

10. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

How much gain do you need? You can get a Bad Cat Hot Cat Reverb head for under $2k.