New to exploring Fender tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by frizbplaya, Oct 10, 2008.

1. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I've always been a Gibson -> Marshall player but recently I got a G&L Bluesboy and while I love it through a marshall, it makes me want to get into Fender tones as well. I have the rock arena covered with vintage marshall stuff, but I'm looking for something that can do great cleans, vintage bluegrass stuff, and blues. I don't play much country. I have a sole-mate so reverb isn't a big deal.

What amps would your recommend? I'm don't care if it's fender or fender-like. Price will make a difference at some point, but for now I'd like to hear any suggestions so I can find a place to play them and get the sounds in my head.

What do you suggest I try?!

2. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Blackface Super Reverb.Turn the reverb off if you dont need it.King of clean.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I think one of the best buys for vintage Fender tones at the moment is a Bandmaster/Bandmaster Reverb.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I LOVE Super Reverbs. There is something about the 4X10 that gives a dimension to the tone.

Next best would be a Deluxe Reverb

[​IMG]

5. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

which fender tone? there's tweed, blonde, brown, black and silver. :rotflmao

tweed's probably the most open and raw, and they got cleaner and with more headroom as they went through time towards the silverfaces, with the goal of "lessening unwanted distortion". :rolleyes:

you say that you want great cleans and i'm assuming that means cleans with headroom. depending on the wattage you need, i would steer you towards a Non-Reverb Princeton (5 knobber, 12W), a Bandmaster (35-40W), or a Twin (~80W). Many would say add a Deluxe Reverb to that list, and while it does have great cleans, it also starts to break up between 4 and 6 on the dial so I discount it b/c there's not a lot of headroom (but the breakup is typically pretty great--YMMV).

The NR Princeton will stay clean til 8 on the dial. The bandmaster will start to break up around 6 (but pisses people off around 4 :p) and i don't know anyone who wants to be in the same zipcode as a Twin set to "stun". I also agree whole heartedly with the Super Reverb recommendation, but I personally find 4x10 to be a little much in a lot of situations.

I personally prefer the blackface fenders to the silverfaces as the silvers tend to be a little more clean/clinical (maybe "sterile" to my ears), but with every fender amp, it depends on the amp itself, how much the components have drifted, the speaker's condition, etc. you can try 5 different Princetons and they'll all be a bit different. In your case, you might find exactly what you're looking for in a silverface (the bonus is that they're cheaper, too).

cheers,
    wade

6. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Since you are coming from marshall I would start with a Blonde Bassman from the early 60's. It will be less of a shock to your system.

If you want the typical blackface fender clean, the Super reverb is a great choice. If a 410 combo is too big than check out the 210 vibrolux reverb.

Some things to keep in mind about fenders:
    1. They are generally known for their combos, not their heads. Just like Marshall is generally know for their stacks, not their combos. (Many exceptions to this stereotype though)
    2. If you want reverb in an fender head, there are not that many options.
    3. As you go from Tweed to Brown/Blonde to Blackface/Silverface, the mids decrease in general.

7. TYY

TYY Member

I don't recommend you plug in your D28 into any amplifier.

8. m@2

m@2 Member

+1 on the blonde bassman, but any blackface or early silverface bassman or bandmaster will get you some Fender bliss in a hurry...

of course then there's the deluxe reverbs, the princetons, the super reverbs, the twins.... the...

9. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I would go for a Brown Deluxe. Great Fender tone with more attitude than most Fenders are used to (think early Billy Gibbons) which is good if you're coming from a Marshall. Good luck finding one though. Bassmans are great but may be too similar to Marshalls and not enough of a change in my opinion. My next vote would be a for a Blackface Bandmaster. One of my band mates has one (I believe it's a '65 or '66) and is one of the coolest sounding amps I have ever heard.

10. shane88

shane88 Member

11. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Thanks for all the help guys! As for the bassman, I thought about that but I have a 72 marshall Superbass and I think they're pretty similar. So far I'm liking the blackface bandmaster...

Keep the suggestions coming :) I'm open to non-fender fender tones as well.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  12. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

CAA OD 100
    Bogner Shiva
    Fuchs / Two Rock
    Fargen
    Carr

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I've heard Tone King amps are vastly superior to any Fender clean. Admittedly, this is hearsay.