New to Floyds

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

I got my first floyd guitar today....and Ibanez RG520.....quick question....

When I use the trem, and let go, it seems as if the trem is not going back to standard position.....my entire guitar goes out of tune almost evenly...

Then, when I slightly pull back up on it, it will go back into tune perfectly, and stay like that until I use the trem again.....

There are 4 springs in the back if that helps!

Going out of tune isn't the problem here.....why isn't my trem going back to its original position?

2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Brand new guitar? Maybe the springs need to be broken in a bit? I've heard of this problem but never experienced it.

3. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

No...it's actually has quite a few years on it....I bought it from the previous owner.....

I've been told to lube the posts......and that maybe the strings need to be replaced.....

4. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

i would possibly look into the bridge setup. with a fulcrum trem, you can't have the two posts uneven without tuning problems. in fact, uneven pivots may have worn down, leading to multiple points of rest. if you dig...

joe

5. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Definitely going to look into it! Thanks for all the help!

6. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

I've got that same guitar and have never experienced tuning issues. Besides some kind of binding between the trem and the posts, make sure you've got the locking nut tightened so that the strings can't slip during divebombs, etc.

Later, Jim

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Grooved posts.
    Worn knife-edges.
    Poor stabilty.

8. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Actually, I think its normal for a floyd rose to not return to PERFECT tuning after a dive. It would always be a few cents (like 3?) off on some strings. A quick tug on it (pull up) would rectify it.

But of coruse, if your problem is more than a few cents, its probably something else.

9. RBalducci

RBalducci Member

hey ya... I am endorsed with Iabnez and have been for years...

It is possible that you may have an issue with the posts..

I recommend if you want to make the guitar a little better.. visit Ibanezrules website.. and purchase from them a set of locking posts.. it makes a difference..

and what I also do is use chapstick and I put it all over my knives edges and where it connects to the posts... it help bring it back to the right place...

hope that helps..

RB

www.robbalducci.com

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Nice to see Rob Balducci here!

Rock on Bro!

I suspect your problem lies with the knife edges on the trem or the trem posts on the guitar. The knife edges might be worn off causing burrs on the edges.

Another good resource is www.jemsite.com there's a technical section on the site, which was my first primer when I got my first floyd equipped guitar. www.ibanezrules.com is also an excellent site to check out, it's very detailed and in depth, can't go wrong with that.

Good luck man!

11. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Resurrecting an old thread-just discovered Rob today! Monster chops and feel. Rob-I want that purpleburst RGA Ibanez-it is gorgeous and not only has the perfect pickup setup of 3 hot rod single coils but also a Floyd style tremolo-would go great with my L.A. Sound Design rack for progressive hard rock. I love that guitar-wish there were better pictures of it online.

Is it available as an order from Ibanez for us mortals?

RBalducci likes this.
  12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

You could try screwing the claw screws deeper into the wood until the strings are back in tune instead of pulling back on the bar. But it may be old strings. Or old springs. Or a combination of the two. Or it could be worn out posts etc. And not all Floyds are created equal.

13. cajunboy2k

cajunboy2k Member

Another thing to considder is the string retainer bar at the headstock. If it is not screwd down low enough, it could cause tuning problems. I had the same problem with my JS1000. I think someone on this board had me lower the retainer bar, and I've had to tuning problems since.

14. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've never experienced this, but I've heard of this before. My friend who has played Floyd's for many years, calls this a dual neutral. The knife edge wears and causes a flat spot. This creates 2 resting locations, tune to one and it can return to the other after using the bar. Tune to the other and it can return to the first.

I don't know what part he replaces, but it appears to be common enough that he's replaced this part on all of his floyds.

15. vds5000

vds5000 Member

I remember my first Ibanez was an RG360 from back around '88. I bought it new and it had this exact problem within the first couple of weeks. The store told me they thought the problem was the metal used for the posts was too soft and the knife edges were just eating away at them. I was PO'd that a brand new guitar was having this problem so I returned it and bought a Kramer Focus with an original Floyd and never had that problem again.

16. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

This is exactly what is causing your problem.

Take it to a tech, and have them put in new posts and sharpen the knife edges.
    About $135 cost.