New to me Amp! Mesa Boogie Mark III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pelle31, Aug 6, 2019.

1. pelle31

pelle31 Member

I bought a second hand Boogie a few months ago and thought I would post about it. I have had a Lone Star Special and Mark V 25 in the past and while they were nice amps they weren't the sound I was after.I decided to try a full size Mark and began looking online,in particular for a wood cabinet and wicker grille combination.While looking I found an add for an older Mark III that looked fantastic and had a lot of the features I wanted. I took a chance and bought it and can't believe how great it is.
    The amp is a simul-class no stripe 1985 Mark III with the 105 power transformer,reverb and graphic eq.It has the original EVM-12L speaker and is housed in an Imbuia cab with wicker grille.In 2017 this amp was sent back to the Mesa factory for service and upgrades. Pretty much every available option was added... the III+/IIIC+/IIC+ circuit upgrade, R2 volume addition, reverb fix, as well as a pentode/triode switch. The amp also had a general service and cap job.The amp shipped with a pair of 415 6L6s and 416 EL34s. Besides loving how the amp looks,it is amazing how versatile it is,great cleans through to heavy distortion.It took a while but I think I found the Boogie I have been searching all this time for!

https://www.facebook.com/johnw.whyte/media_set?set=a.2701326799891503&type=3

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    jujube, jeff_lebowski, stonem and 4 others like this.
  2. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

Wow- I’ve got a Mark III greenstripe and I’m so jealous! Those mods sound awesome. Just a great amp- enjoy!

3. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

Very nice indeed.
    Years back I gigged with a blonde no-stripe MK3 with original EVL12M. I only used the clean channel with a couple of cheap Boss dirt pedals, definitely some of the best singing lead tones I ever had though.
    I don’t miss lifting the MK3 in it’s anvil road case into the car/van - it was SO HEAVY. Great amp though. Enjoy!

pelle31 likes this.
  4. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

sounds like an early black dot model. I think they may have carried over the transformer from the IIC+ on that one. awesome amps. can't go wrong with any of the IIIs.

Bobby D likes this.
  5. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

6. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

Excellent amps - I've still got my MkIII black dot, and every now and then it gets hauled out to do its thing.

The MkII series amps are slightly more discreet weapons IME; but every now and then the desire to unleash a MkIII overcomes me, and it gets plugged in to create a little mayhem.

Snottyboy, mrwhipple and bluesoul like this.
  7. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Those wood and wicker combos are beautiful! It seems that recently a lot of guys are grabbing up the older mark series amps and discovering (or re-discovering) just how damn good they were! I have always had a fondness for them...recent pickup for me was a IIb 60 watt no verb or GEQ, which is my favorite of all the others I have had including a fully loaded simul-class mark IIc+. I have had a bunch of different versions over the years....all were really great amps. Generally really good bargains considering the quality and great sounds that one can expect!
    Congrats on that bad boy!

pelle31 likes this.
  8. pelle31

pelle31 Member

mrwhipple likes this.
  9. pelle31

pelle31 Member

Yes it's a load(80 lbs.) but I knew that going in.

10. Jsalino

Jsalino Member

Curious as to the cost of all of that service not including shipping or tubes...

11. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Great amps. I rocked a couple of early MKIII Mesa amps myself back in the day - loved them! Happy new amp day!

pelle31 likes this.
  12. pelle31

pelle31 Member

I can't speak to the cost of the mods as the seller had them done in 2017,I bought it 2 months ago.

13. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Thinking about having the + modification done to my Mark III red stripe. Supposed to have a lead circuit that’s already quite close to the IIC+.

Just like there’s something special to me with the Mark IV, the Mark III has its own special something going on.

Nice~

pelle31 likes this.
  14. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

The Mark III is an awesome amp that delivers some serious tone. My Blue Stripe has the C+ mod, but it sounded awesome stock.

In the event you get bored of the amazing high gain tones try overdrive pedals into the clean channel, it eats them up. The lead channel with lower gain and higher bass settings will get some great mid gain tones too.

jeff_lebowski and pelle31 like this.
  15. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

Fantastic amps! I had a green stripe hardwood combo w/EQ, verb and Simul. Tricky sucker to put a mic on!! Ended up getting rid of it, I had an easier time moving around a Marshall stack than that little fat brick!

pelle31 likes this.