New To Me Rig!!!! 70s jmp 2203 65amps cab!!!!

small axe

hi there folks,

so i have decided to get back into more electric playing as i have been playing only acoustic for the past 4 years. i sold all my stuff and just had two acoustics. well now i got myself a new rig to play with. the head is 78 marshall jmp 2203 100w super lead and the cab is a 65amps whiskey cab. i got them both from the forum. i am really digging the marshall. i play a strat thru it and it sounds great. i have only set the master volume at noon and the preamp at 7 or so. it is suprising clean at lower volumes but when its turned up the house shakes. i love it. replacing the speakers w scumbacks per jims recommendation. what do u think? i did good?

Last edited:

small axe

Very nice! I see another Marshall in the background...

thanks, yeah the background marshall is a class 5 combo that was my bedroom amp but now my bedroom amp is a 2203 100w. love the amp. i can get some crazy sounds out of it. cant wait for my scumback h75s to come in. i expect them this week. i know jim has had some medical issues but he has been in contact with me and he has been very helpful and courteous in my ordering from him. i lost a few days but thats no big deal. i can wait. but to talk about the jmp. it got all russian sovteks in it. my next thing is to replace the preamp tubes to nos tubes, like rca or telefuken. then i will go into power tubes. i dont know if i mentioned my 78 jmp runs el34s which i was truly happy about because of what marshall was doing to the us versions with 6550s.

i will try to make a sound clip and post it.

Fulldrive-1

Ah, yes. Yet another TGPer has seen the light. When people get ahold of a JMP and crank it, they become believers. They face toward Bletchley and say "There is no god but Marshall, and Jimi Hendrix was his Prophet."

BADHAK

Just got a 1980 2203 and it is easily the best amp I've played. Play one chord and you just know that it will sit perfect in the mix. LOVELOVELOVE;)

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats! Great amp and good call on the scumbacks. They are a match made in heaven

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
Sweet choice, meat and potatoes right there. You might not want it every day but when you want it, it's very satisfying. Congratulations!

small axe

thanks guys and gals(if there are any)...the setup is sweet in my opinion. waiting on speakers so i can really crank it.

small axe

got some scumbacks a few weeks ago during the sale and i must say i love it. now i am able to crank the marshall to higher master and preamp levels. i have reached 8 on the marshall and it still sounds great coming thru just 2 12" scumbacks 65 watters.

Belmont

thanks, yeah the background marshall is a class 5 combo that was my bedroom amp but now my bedroom amp is a 2203 100w. love the amp. i can get some crazy sounds out of it. cant wait for my scumback h75s to come in. i expect them this week. i know jim has had some medical issues but he has been in contact with me and he has been very helpful and courteous in my ordering from him. i lost a few days but thats no big deal. i can wait. but to talk about the jmp. it got all russian sovteks in it. my next thing is to replace the preamp tubes to nos tubes, like rca or telefuken. then i will go into power tubes. i dont know if i mentioned my 78 jmp runs el34s which i was truly happy about because of what marshall was doing to the us versions with 6550s.

i will try to make a sound clip and post it.
regarding the 6550's, they get a really bad rap, I believe most of the negativity points back to the Groove Tubes "The Tube Amp Book".
I bought into that for a long time unit I had a couple of my amps loaded with 6550's to use as bass amps.
non of what I had read or perceived about 6550's was true, they sound amazing and in no way are inferior to EL-34's.

anyway, very cool new rig you have there, congrats.

Sean French

hi there folks,

so i have decided to get back into more electric playing as i have been playing only acoustic for the past 4 years. i sold all my stuff and just had two acoustics. well now i got myself a new rig to play with. the head is 78 marshall jmp 2203 100w super lead and the cab is a 65amps whiskey cab. i got them both from the forum. i am really digging the marshall. i play a strat thru it and it sounds great. i have only set the master volume at noon and the preamp at 7 or so. it is suprising clean at lower volumes but when its turned up the house shakes. i love it. replacing the speakers w scumbacks per jims recommendation. what do u think? i did good?

You did great. :dude:dude:dude

trailrun100s

regarding the 6550's, they get a really bad rap, I believe most of the negativity points back to the Groove Tubes "The Tube Amp Book".
I bought into that for a long time unit I had a couple of my amps loaded with 6550's to use as bass amps.
non of what I had read or perceived about 6550's was true, they sound amazing and in no way are inferior to EL-34's.

anyway, very cool new rig you have there, congrats.
And ironically, I had a Groove Tubes Dual 75 stereo tube power amp that ran 6550's back in the day...Sounded great...

Wmacky

I had a reissue version. It was just to much for by 12x12 Hobby room!

I had to downgrade to a puny DSL100 Full stack.............

Trending Topics