New to Modelling: I Need A FRFR that Will Be Loud Enough to Be Heard with Acoustic Drums

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by teleluvver, Apr 28, 2016.

1. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

Hi Guys,

I'm a lifelong analog/tube amp player and I just bought a Line 6 Helix. I figured that I would worry about a FRFR later, because I always play through a sound system and figured that I would use the stage wedges or IEMs. Well, now I just scored a gig playing in a musical in the local community theatre, and there is no sound system for the band. What they have will be used for vocal mics for the actors. So there will be an acoustic drum kit and amps. I have several nice tube amps, but most of them are low wattage and I'd rather get a FRFR speaker. So now not only do I need a FRFR speaker, I need to get something that can hang with an acoustic drum kit. I don't want something super heavy (like a Twin Reverb or Super Reverb amp), but I don't know how many ss watts I will need. Does anyone here with FRFR experience have any suggested brands/models for me to try out? Thanks for the help.

2. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Atomic CLR
    One would be more than enough to cut through over drums
    There are probably cheaper alternatives, but the CLRs sound quite exceptional (exceptionally?)

71strat likes this.
  3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

FRFR is a different world if you are not used to it. Tweak your presets for the gear you buy and tweak at the level you play. I haven't found any FRFR systems transparent to the point of no tweaks required. There are many options. From $150 and as high as over a grand. Depends on your budget, but imo there aren't a whole lot of differences in terms of how they react given each budgetary limit or base.

For my modeling I finally decided to just use whatever wedges are provided or I bring a Yamaha DBR10. It's compact, small and loud as f if I want it to be. 7 yr warranty to boot. I don't need a lot of low end because I don't step on the bass player. lol

I tried every combination of Alto CLR, QSC, RCF, Turbosound, and finally settled on this little DBR10. I still hate playing with compression drivers, but they all have that. For as little as I am required to have a wedge, this is fine.

4. Blanket Jackson

Not for nothing, but ENORMOUS difference in tone and feel between Alto and CLR. QSRs are cool but found the field a bit narrow.
    Been jonesing to try the DBR10. Need portable in the city!

71strat likes this.
  5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I really love the QSC K series speakers - they have 1200 watts for some tremendous headroom, and are really compact and easy to carry - the K10 speaker with the 10" driver seemed to be the best bang for the buck for me. they also make a K8 with 8" speaker, or the K12 with the 12" speaker. a PAIR of those run in stereo with a good modeler like the Helix sounds HUGE.....

6. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

There's also Xitone, Matrix, Mission Engineering and Friedman, just to mention a few. Personally, I use a Xitone 1x12 active wedge and I really like it. That said, I've never compared it to any of the options I've mentioned here. I'm only bringing them up to give you options you can research.

Good luck!

7. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I was speaking in terms of price ranges of various products. CLR would be more in line with Freidman, Alto with products in that price range.

Me and my co guitarist sat with about 10 different wedges. DBR10 worked out the best for most of the songs we play. Also a hell of a vocal mon. Our two main vocalists switched from Yorkville 15" NSX powered series to the DBR10's. KB player bought one for his mon.

They don't have a huge low end or exaggerated mids, so they seem to work out ok. Again, I use them for maybe 10 shows out of 100 or more, but regularly at rehearsals. DXR10's had a bit more low end, but overall the DBR was just as good for our needs and 200 bucks cheaper each. We bought 6 for the band.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  8. Blanket Jackson

Awesome to know. The CLRs are a bit odd shaped for stacking and transporting on the subway, whereas the DBR10s are shaped a bit more friendly. In a live setting, with a bassist, a little cut on the bass is probably not a deal killer. Probably cut through the mix better too. I don't mind spending a little more for a quality product, but spending less for a usable product is even better. Thanks for the backstory, man!

9. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

Yamaha DXR 10 - $599, over built, great input features, signal processing, LOUD as all get out - 30 lbs - oh and 7 year warranty

10. aruark1

aruark1 Member

Alto ts110 should be pretty cheap now that there's a new 210. Even the 210 is only $250 and had more Watts and looks better.... Get the 12" if you want a little extra oomph, but most seem to be pleased with the 10. I have the 110, but also have toddlers, so it's been turned on like twice.

11. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I would go CLR all the way here. While there are cheaper alternatives, I have yet to hear a single FRFR speaker that sounds as good as the CLR without spending several thousand dollars.

71strat likes this.
  12. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I wouldn't overlook the Xitone. Built like a tank, 37ish pounds, Matrix amp module, and the curve I saw was super flat.

Jose7822 likes this.
  13. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I'm surprised no one ever seems to mention L6 Stagesource L2m/t in these threads for FRFR. Might be a good option too.

14. zentman

zentman Member

I played one CLR with a full band and 2 other guitar dudes. One had a Mesa IIC+ and the other had a Recto or something. I more than kept up. The drummer was a hard hitting guy with a Neil Peart5 kit. Works for me.

15. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

Matrix FR10 & 12s are now shipping. Made for guitar modelers. 22 & 29 pounds.

football likes this.
  16. football

football Silver Supporting Member

+1 on taking a look at those.

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  17. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

18. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Member

Copied from another thread I started about the Line6 Helix not having a hotrodded Marshall model.

I've played the FR12 quietly and at volume. Sounds much more natural than my QSC K10 does with the Helix. The K10s are fantastic PA speakers but a little boomy and hollow with the Helix. The FR12 sounds full, has a flatter response, is a little more alive, a bit punchier like a guitar cab, and perhaps introduces a bit of warmth. Sparkles and chimes with the Matchless, Dr. Z and /13 models. I have never played through the Atomic CLR but I'm seriously thinking Matrix designed this powered FRFR system well and at half the price. The FR12 is compact and very light. I'm glad it is not a wedge because I can sit on it sometimes when I play. I also never point my combos up at me or directly at the audience. The reason I bought the FR12 was it was priced well, light in weight, and comes from a respectable company in the digital modeling world. I will use it like I use a guitar tube combo but am also hoping I can get used to the Helix playing back through typical stage monitors. I think it is loud enough to hang with drums but haven't tried this setup at band practice yet. Since the FR12 sounds and feels great, I will keep it. Again, I have not and cannot compare it to the offerings from Atomic and Friedman but am happy not to go on that chase.

I am not sure the Helix into FR12 will hang with a hard hitting loud drummer, though.

19. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Agreed.

20. Chris Hayden

Chris Hayden Member

Or ...... Tech 21 Power Engine. Not FRFR but works great with modelers (leave cab sims on). Plus not as much ear fatigue from high frequency drivers. Ymmv

partytrain likes this.