New to P90 Pickups. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drod1985, Feb 25, 2012.

1. drod1985

drod1985 Member

I'm putting together a mahogany body/neck w/ rosewood finger board guitar and I'd like to put some P90s in it. Any suggestions? Looking for true P90s, no noise canceling or humbuckers.

For reference,

Neck pickups I dig: Klein S-5, Klein Early 50's Tele
    Bridge pickups I dig: new EVH Wolfgang, Klein '52 Tele

Thanks! :beer

2. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

I think the cheapo GFS ones are really nice

3. Brudr

Brudr Member

For nice vintage tone I've found nothing better than Fralins (standard bridge -15% underwound neck)

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Gibson or Vintage Vibe......leaning towards Vintage Vibe because you can discuss the desired outcome with Pete Biltoft who will make them exactly how you want them.

I think a matched set is about $199

5. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I've had P-90 guitars with expensive pickups, and currently have a couple with cheap pickups. My opinion about P-90s is that it is such a robust design, it's really kind of hard to make a bad one. They sound different, but I wouldn't say cheap P-90s sound bad. The biggest difference to me is the more expensive pickups (Gibson, PRS, Fralin) are usually quieter. The P-90s in my $130 SX LP special copy sound great.

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

Jason Lollar makes an outstanding P-90, in two basic winds...one of them is a 50's wind.

7. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I've been through more P90s than I can count. Most of them are good, some of them are great. My advice is to get a set of Lollars and be done.

The sound samples at the Lollar site are very accurate and should help you know whether you want the regular or low wind models. Used ones show up regularly here on TGP.

8. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I tried a bunch. By the way, everyone will be right on this thread; there are a lot of excellent P-90s out there. I like the Antiquities the best; great raw sound.

9. Muddy T-Bone

Muddy T-Bone Member

I own both Lollar and Fralin, and you can't go wrong with either. Both Jason and Lindy have perfected the art of a P90. IMHO, those are the reference standards for a P90.

I have a '61 Guild with the original P90, and I use that as my reference standard.

The Lollar seems to be a bit nastier and have a bit more dirt around the edges than the Fralin does. However, I have those on different guitars so I can't speak to the neck/body wood contributions to the slight tonal differences between the 2.

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Wolfetone does the best boutique P90's if you are after vintage Gibson. www.wolfetone.com
    I've had almost every boutique winders P90' over the years.
    Wolfe out shines them all IMO.
    I've owned a vintage 1957 Gibson LP Junior and have played a ton of other vintage Gibson' with P90'.

Wolfe is the man in my book.
    Give him a call and explain what you want. He will deliver.:aok

11. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I wouldn't try to get p90's that sound like a tele neck or an EVH bridge. You'll be setting yourself up for disappointment there. p90's are a completely different type of pickup. To be correct, there are humbuckers, single coils, then there are your p90's. I'd say instead of searching with something in mind, just try to find out what a bunch of p90's sound like and pick the ones you like.

12. JPF

JPF Member

Bare Knuckle P90s are another great option.

13. riff1006

riff1006 Member

I'm happy with the stock Gibsons in my LP Special and preferred them to Lollars in a Collings 290 in a recent side by side test.

14. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

As you can tell already, there are countless options and opinions. I've found the Lollars to sound like a big, fat single coil - which works well for me. I've not tried the Antiquities. Suhr also does a nice job with their S90s.

15. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Klein P90's are very nice as well.

16. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Honestly, good old Gibson P90's haven't strayed much from the originals sonically. I've got half a dozen '50's P90's, a set of current Gibsons and a set of (wait for it) whatever Agile is using in its $400 guitars. All very similar.

You don't want hot-wound P90's, trust me. They're just too noisy and they sound wrong. I think the pickups on the Collings 290 are a bit too gentile. There are a lot of folks who are UNDERwinding P90's, and that cuts down on the noise, but they've also removed the cajones. If you like emasculated P90's, you probably really want a whole different kind of pickup in your guitar.

IMHO, the noiseless pickups that come closest (pretty much bang-on, really) to real P90's are those from Kinman. I've compared them only to the Fralin noiseless, which aren't horrible, but which just aren't quite there (again, IMHO). Pricey, though, so you have to want noiseless.

17. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

This +1000

The only other suggestion I would have is you can get a set of real vintage (mid-60's ish) fairly reasonable as well........of course these sound incredible.

18. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Lotsa p90 threads lately.

I like lollars. Have not tried wolfs.

19. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

I haven't heard many boutique winds personally, but I've never heard anything but great things about Lollar and Fralin, BG, and the Bareknuckle MS Queens. Haven't heard much about Zhangbucker P90s but his bucker winds are so good that I'd be willing to give them a shot too.

20. metheniac

metheniac Supporting Member

+1 on the Custom Fralins with the windings below. I have a set in my Fano that are so vintage sweet sounding. I have also had the standard Gibson set that sounded pretty good but not as rounded and smooth as the Fralins.