New to pedalboards....a few questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toneman335, Jul 5, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Looking to get a pedal board that makes the most sense and is easy to setup.

. Do they make boards with a built in power supply?
    . If so, is that the way to go instead of an external power supply?
    . What boards, make and model, should I take a look at?

Thanks

2. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

There are a lot of options for pedal boards these days. Some boards with built in power, in order of expense (least to most expensive):
    • Gator ($100 for small, $150 for large). Their power supplies include 8 9v and a few 18 volt, and the board comes with a soft case. I have both sizes. You can add a second Gator power supply (the attach underneath) to the large board. Good bang for the buck.
    • SKB PS-45 has 3 AC outlets and 8 9v and some patching jacks (which I never use). I got mine for $180 new a few years ago. They are more now (approx $300), and SKB has a newer model with different specs. As well, as smaller boards.
    • Furman makes expensive powered boards. I never owned theirs.
    There are also boards by Boss, etc.

3. mikespe

mikespe Member

I am not sure how good you are with your hands but you can make a nice board MUCH cheaper than buying one. Here is the one I am finishing up. This way you can degign exactly what you want.

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

1. Yes they do. http://pedalpad.com/
    2. It's not necessarily the best or worst option. I think more often I see people use pedalboards with a 3rd party power supply because of reasons like space, quality of the power supply, number of outputs needed, positioning, etc. It's really a matter of how many pedals you use and if you are ok with all these possible issues that might arise later.
    3. CNB, NYC, Rockcase, just about any ATA case brand... But this all depends on your needs. If you don't plan to fly, you may not need to invest so much in an ATA case. If you don't really use that many pedals, then you may want to consider a Gator board with a soft case rather than a hard case.

5. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

+1

home-made boards will save you some cash...
    I built this one for $20 in parts and a little elbow grease.
    I will be making a nicer one, but this is a "getcha by" unit.
    If ya had a lot of money to spend, I'd search all the threads on here for DIY
    boards, buy ya a decent power supply, like a Voodoo Pedal Power 2,
    and build it. There's some REAL cool DIY boards on the forum here...
    these guys are geniuses when it comes to that sorta thing.
    [​IMG]

Examples of Genius-at-work:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

even more here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=364122&highlight=home+made&page=3

Props to all the guys who made these I might add.

6. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Behringer PB1000 board?