New to pedals, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jeffmeetworld, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jeffmeetworld

jeffmeetworld Member

I just recently got into pedals, and have been trying to research the, "essentials", that one would need to start out. I think I've put together a good sample of the basics on my board so far, but interested to see what you guys think.

I am mostly trying to emulate SRV, Hendrix, Mayer, Jack White, Black Keys, and that sort of sound, so let me know how I did, and what else I need!

So far I have:

Boss TU 3 Tuner
    EXH Q Tron +
    Ibanez TS 10
    Pedal Projects Klone (Klon Clone)
    EXH Micro POG
    Way Huge Aqua Puss
    MXR Univibe
    EXH Big Muff Pi
    TC Electronics Ditto Looper
    Cry Baby Wah

2. NielsM

NielsM Member

Definitly need something like a Timmy. A transparant overdrive. And a nice boost pedal. Maybe something like a TC Spark or Xotic boosters (doesn't matter which, the're all good)

3. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Yep - that makes a difference

4. manasquanto

manasquanto Member

Like the other guys have mentioned, a good clean boost would be nice. You might want to consider using a compressor, too. You can use that compressor as a clean boost.

5. jeffmeetworld

jeffmeetworld Member

I was actually wondering about boosts. I didn't know if they were needed for what I am playing. Just small gigs in bars, and at friends parties and such. I was actually looking at the Keeley Katana for the boost, but didnt know enough about it or boost pedals in general to pull the trigger

6. meterman

meterman Member

for Hendrix (and SRV to a lesser extent) you'll want to add a good fuzzface, the big muff will be too over the top to cop their tones. With fuzzfaces you've got germanium (lower gain, warmer, great cleanup w/ volume knob) or silicon (higher gain, brighter, doesn't clean up as well) or a hybrid germ/si which is probably my favorite, best of both worlds. Tons of options, my favorites keeping price in mind are Fulltone '69 and '70 small box, MJM London, or Foxrox CC Hybrid (possibly the best FF out there IMHO).

And yeah the Tim/my is one of if not the best "ulitility" pedal out there, does everything from flat clean boost to medium OD and is flexible enough to work with just about any amp and guitar combination. TS10 and Klone may be somewhat redundant as well, both have a strong mid hump...

Other than that it's a pretty nice setup! Got most/all of the bases covered. Of course you could always add a phaser, flanger, and tremolo.

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

How about a Fuzz Face type pedal? Edit, see above post

8. huutevar

huutevar Member

What amp are you using? I would start by trying to get sounds out of your amp and then only bother about getting pedals if you are trying to get a sound that your amp doesn't cover.

9. jeffmeetworld

jeffmeetworld Member

Would a fulltone octafuzz do the trick?

10. jeffmeetworld

jeffmeetworld Member

I use a Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Junior NOS Tube Guitar Combo Amp, 15 W, 1x12"

11. meterman

meterman Member

actually I recently picked up a small box Octafuzz and like it quite a bit, good Octavia effect and with the octave switched off it's a really good fuzz, not exactly like a fuzzface but covers similar ground.

But I can't say enough good things about the Foxrox CC Hybrid!:bow

couple of good clips of each

12. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Klon. The gold one. Not those silver or red ones.

13. williamisthisit

williamisthisit Member

It seems to me that you already have enough pedals to get their tones.

Stop spending money and practice. You really don't need anything more than that.

(Maybe just a Fuzz Face)

14. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

The octafuzz would work for you, but I would just grab a fuzz face and use the micro pog to add the occasional octave up as desired. Also, your klone will work well as a boost, so I wouldn't spend any more money there.

15. ejanuska

ejanuska Member

Also every Strymon pedal there is. All MIDI and tap tempo controlled by an controller. Don't forget a custom pedal board made out of rippled matched kona with tiger maple trim. Gold patch cables with gold plated connectors.

----

Seriously I suggest a decent isolated power supply and maybe a Pedaltrain board. I used to be a doubter on those make your own patch cable kits that you don't have to solder, but since I bought some I love them.

16. huutevar

huutevar Member

I agree that you can cover it all with what you have. If you want to get picky, you could add a second tubescreamer for SRV, a fuzz face and / or octavia for Hendrix, an Adrenalinn III for some Mayer filter things, and a Digitech Whammy for Jack White pitch thingies. That's adding a lot of extra stuff just for a few little parts of the music you want to play, though.

17. Switchfooter

Switchfooter Member

For a boost, check out the Zvex Super Hard On... I never turn mine off...

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I'll join the chorus of you have plenty of pedals to achieve a lot of sounds. Not sure about the clean boost/transparent OD suggestions. If your Klone is like most, with the drive off it's basically as clean a boost as any, and mostly transparent overdrive with the drive up to say 9-10 o'clock.

19. steam-powered

steam-powered Member

I agree, you don't need anything else. If, though, you are determined to add another pedal I'd echo the recommendation for an octavia style pedal. It's NOT something you'll use very often, but it comes in really handy for a number of songs. After owning several octavia-style pedals, my favorite by far is the Black Cat Super Fuzz cause it has a toggle for two distinct fuzz tones.

[​IMG]

20. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

youve already got too much. play guitar.

also its indicative of the worthiness of advise given without knowing what amp/ guitar you play.