New to the forum and new Chafin

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Boomdoggy, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

Hey guys whats up.I have lurking here for awhile.I have to show you pics of my new Chafin that will be here soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of my Chafin Ember
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I don't know if you guys have checked out Ben's guitars but they rule.I can't wait to get my Targa.

2. Boomdoggy

I forgot to show a pic of Ben holding a Helios that is going to be my next in line.
    [​IMG]

I am going to get this finished in an Acid washed Blue.Kind of like Brian Moores.

3. Boomdoggy

I guess nobody is impressed with my guitars .Oh well whatever.I do need help picking pu's for the Helios.I am getting 59's for the Targa,but I would like to get a full sized P-90 set in my Helios.I was thinking SD Pahtcats,but I am open to any suggestions.Thanks

4. MOJO

MOJO Member

i dig them!! Ben makes sweet guitars...

i'm a little confused about the color on the first one though
    on one hand it looks like straight maple ( but then the body looks different then the color of the headstock ) or is it an ultra ultra lite black/greyish transparent or something along those lines ..hard to tell from the picture?

what is the color?

5. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    Both looking sweet to me. :AOK I can see the top one in Natural, as that quilt is so outrageous. Might want to look into Rio Grande or Lollars for PU selection.

Welcome to the Forum also. We love drooling gear pix!

6. Boomdoggy

Thanks Guys.The Targa is clear.These pics are all I have seen of the guitar since paint.The finish is clear.No tint.Once it arrives I will take a bunch of pics.
    Shreve ,I have been hearing tons of good stuff about Lollars.I will look into them.Any specific model I should be looking for?
    I love drooling over guitars also.I can waste a whole day on the net looking at sweet guitars.This site seems to be the capital of awesome guitars.

7. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    Boom - I'd just give Jason a call and see what he recommends. He knows his stuff. I've got Rio Grande Jazz Bar and Blues Bar in my Thorn and like 'em also.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

That is some insane quilt.

9. Boomdoggy

Thanks again.Ever since I was young I dreamed about quilt.I used to love the old Carvin catalogs with the awesome tops .23 years later and nothing has changed.

On the pu side.Has anybody had Rio Grande Tallboy Hb's in their guitars?I have some time to wait,so I want to look at all options.

10. realmpel

realmpel Supporting Member

Those guitars are SWEET! Thanks for posting pics~and welcome to the forum!

Kev

11. Boomdoggy

I am going on a golf trip this weekend,but I would love to see pics of everybody's guitars.I have another guiatr that I have had for about 6 years.1 of kind Strat made by a guy in Pittsburgh.It was my #1 guitar until I got my Chafin.I will get pics when I get back.It is really unique.The best Strat style guitar I have ever played and I almost didn't get it.

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Howdy Boomdoggy....small world. I reside in Ligonier and was born & raised in Latrobe. Nice to see you around these parts. I play in an old farts weekend band (trio) and still have fun with this stuff after all these years. Started playing guitar in the mid '60's!!

13. Boomdoggy

Hey Vaughn,
    I think I talked to you on the phone before.You were selling a gold sparkle Strat.The Relja brothers told me you had some amazing guitars.
    Aaron

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, I think I now recall the conversation. I haven't seen the Relja brothers in a while but Jim has done some nice fretwork for me in the past. I've had to trim the herd a bit lately but a my Strat and Ric 370 12 string are the one's that still make my heart flutter. Nice to hear from you.

15. Boomdoggy

Nice to hear from you.Jim and John do great work.They refinished my old Explorer in a shiny chrome finish.Fantastic job.Jim is an awesome player as well.