New to the Whammy...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jakestyle, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jakestyle

jakestyle Member

I just picked up a whammy pedal and I wanted to know if you guys had any advice for using it. I just picked it up for fun and wanted to see if it's something that I want to integrate into my rig.

2. cmbeal317

cmbeal317 Member

Learn both of these songs.

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Play music by Audioslave or Rage Against the Machine

4. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Muse has some cool Whammy effects, too. New Born, Invincible, etc.

5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Best Muse Whammy example:

6. helio

helio Member

If you like Phish (I do), check out Trey's whammy use. In brief: he sets it to 2nds down, then uses it, most commonly, to make very subtle bends up to a note. Depress whammy... Pick note, and immediately bring it back up to normal pitch. It's a cool, far more subtle use of the whammy than most users are known for. Don't have time to find you a good video of this, but perhaps someone else will dig one up.

7. Pedals Fusion

Pedals Fusion Member

Here's my 2 vids with whammy...great pedal :aok

Without guitar...

With reverb...great combo

8. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

I posted some clips in another Whammy thread but I dont think I posted this one... Just stick a fuzz in front of it and go to town!!!!

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/wrightdude/fuzzammy[/SOUNDCLOUD]

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Or do like many of us, and twiddle with the settings, get a lot of cool sounds, try and figure out how in the world you can use it to fit your music and then set it aside until a new whammy thread comes around, take it out again, repeat.

Seriously, it isn't the pedal, it's me (and probably a lot of others. Youtube demos confirm there are others like this as they all just play alone, getting definitely cool sounds, but never in context) but I just posted in another whammy thread asking for more things to listen to using it in a band, in a song, and that helps, as do the great suggestions here.

I plan on listening to all of the ones mentioned above and in the other thread. Up until now, I heard it used on "Amused to Death" and thought it was excellent. I just haven't found a use in my rock/blues situation yet.

I think the idea (much like a looper, for looping music) is that one has to treat it as an instrument in its own rite, which means learning to use it, musically and intuitively. It took me a while to get better at Wha (which is childs play compared to the whammy) other than stock sounds.

Like I say, the fault is in me (and others like me) but I get the feeling an awful lot of folk have picked one up, dinked around with it, got cool sounds, then put it away...

It doesn't have to be that way though :)