New to Two Notes CAB...I have a question regarding using it with an amp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by axdxm, Aug 8, 2019.

1. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

For now, I have several Kingsley preamps that I use with the Two Notes CAB, and I love this for recording to my computer.

Now, if I have a tube amp with an effects loop, can I route the "SEND" into the Two Notes CAB into the computer for recording? Regarding the stuff about load boxes/etc. I feel like I am missing something. For my purpose (recording), I don't need the amp's power amp or speaker - just the preamp section. I want to use the Two Notes power amp sim and cab sim. Can I run it this way without breaking something? Or do I still need a load box?

Any help/education about this stuff would be greatly appreciated! I tried to research this, but I can't find a straightforward answer.

2. danel59

danel59 Member

I would imagine you would still need a load box to record without signal passing to your speaker. Try inserting just a cable into the send of your amp and see if signal is still being passed to the power amp and speakers.

3. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

If the amp is on and the power amp is sending power to the speaker, then if there were no return signal it just wouldn't have a signal to amplify, no? It still is powering a load, just the same if you turned your amp on with no cable into it at all.

Hoping there is one other person on here who has done this!

4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

There is a difference in sound and feel if you decide NOT to use a reactive load and just used the pre amplifier signal from the send. Get a Suhr reactive load and take full advantage of the full amplified signal from your tube amp. Even using the power amp sims in the Torpedo make for a better sound.

5. twilt

twilt Member

This is precisely the reason I got the Torpedo Live....it has a built in load box.
    For the price you pay for the CAB and a load box, you can have the Live.

I can run my tube amps through it with OR without having it hooked up to a cabinet.

A new Live these days will run you about $800.

I grabbed a demo from Sweetwater just a few weeks ago for $700.

6. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I realize the power amp section of the amp is a component of tone. I was just trying to find a way to use my amp for recording, but hopefully not have to buy another piece of gear (a load box). My goal (and hope) was to use my amp's preamp into the Two Notes CAB with both its power amp sim and cab sim without blowing up my amp or having to buy a reactive load.

7. ilyslue2

ilyslue2 Member

As long as the amp is connected to a speaker its ok. If you use the effectsloop send, the poweramp and speaker will be on idle.