New TofT Console!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by muddy, Oct 3, 2005.

1. muddy

muddy Member

street $2000-$3000 for the 16trk? also has firewire, adat/lightpipe... this is the proto; i'll be seeing the real thing at aes!!!

[​IMG]

ml

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

That's the one I've been waiting for too. That's the first actual picture I've seen though. Looks great. Do you know if there'll be a meter bridge too?

3. muddy

muddy Member

i'll know in 3 days! you know that it's eq is all 80b, don't you? even down to the colour scheme! :dude

ml

4. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

DId you see the lettering on top? "ATB" ;)

Street price of 2499... I, of course, will have dealer pricing, and we're a Toft authorized reseller... hint, hint ;)

5. TAVD

I'm holding out for the 24 channel version and hoping it'll be under $3k.

6. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Not sure about pricing yet, but there'll be a 24 and a 32 Ch version.

7. TAVD

The 2 added analog VU's that I just read about have sealed the deal for me. :D

Any word on the back panel connections? Full compliment of jacks or is everything multi-pin?

8. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Full compliment of jacks :)

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Speaking of Toft...

Red Ant, is the Toft "channel strip" a good product, in your opinion? It seems like it's worth investigating.

10. jzb

jzb Member

Hi Les.

Most of the opinions voiced (that I listened to) has the first offerings from Toft at a "prosumer" level and misses on the pro level.

The new console is likely to be more of what we come to expect from Mr. Toft. I myself am looking very seriously at the 32 channel model. I now have 2 partners and will laying out a couple of bucks for a nice desk.

-jzb

11. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I have to disagree - i think the EC-1 is a wonderful unit, for the price. Does it sound like a 1066 or a 1073? No. Do i expect it to? No ;)

12. muddy

muddy Member

the eq is supposed to be great on the atc-2. the compressor as well. it's the pre itself that ain't no great shakes.

ml

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

14. muddy

muddy Member

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

A review as useful as tits on a fish.

Do the preamps "suck" or not? Just asking him what the hell he meant by that seems to piss him off. Who needs this ego tripping nonsense? I gotta earn a living! :)

16. muddy

muddy Member

he's quite clear on that; he thinks they suck. he's said so numerous times. but he loves the rest of the unit. he doesn't suffer fools lightly. some can find that abrasive. i happen to know the guy, and there is a very good reason everyone wants him as a dealer, & why so many engineers defer to his opinions. the guy knows what he's talking about. no one is infallible, granted, but his track record does speak for itself. i generally have to laugh at most reviewers because they're so transparent. but fletch puts his money where his mouth is, time & time again, so i do wanna know what his opinion is, even if i don't agree.

ml

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's fine, but if you keep reading it becomes clear as mud.

I find the "internet guru/curmudgeon" shtick annoying, that's all. Maybe he knows his sh*t, but I don't know him, so If I need input or advice I prefer to talk to people whose work and experience I know and respect.

18. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I got NO problem with Fletch - dealt with him for years, though usually from a distance. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with him on the mic pre, as he qualifies his statement by saying that he's comparing it to the best (and most expensive) stuff available. Well... DUH! :) I will say i'd take the Toft pre over most FocusRites, including the ISAs of which i own 4 channels. Its slightly more musical to MY ear than the ISAs. Also, i'm one of "those people" Fletch mentions that like to compress AFTER the EQ, so i got no beef with Toft there.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Obviously the guy knows his stuff and if I knew him personally I might feel different. It's an internet personna thing.

That and the way some people blindly adopt his opinions as their own, but that's not his fault.