New Tokai vs. Old Tokai

humbert

There's a lot of talk (and a climbing price range) on old MIJ Les Paul-style guitars, like Tokai's Love Rock, or LP Reborns, Grecos, Goya, etc.

But how do the new MIJ Les Paul-style guitars, like the new Tokais, or the Edwards, stack up against these much-hyped "Lawsuit-era" copies? I've read tons of praise for the old and the new--but from the mouths of those of you who've played both, what do you think?

Thanks, and sorry for any redundancy: I did try and search this out beforehand.

-Tim

TheOneOff

I am a big Tokai fan, but it wasn't until your post that I realized I've never played any of the new ones?!

You don't see many of the new higher end models for sale, so I guess that says something!

jjboogie

Supporting Member
There's a lot of talk (and a climbing price range) on old MIJ Les Paul-style guitars, like Tokai's Love Rock, or LP Reborns, Grecos, Goya, etc.

But how do the new MIJ Les Paul-style guitars, like the new Tokais, or the Edwards, stack up against these much-hyped "Lawsuit-era" copies? I've read tons of praise for the old and the new--but from the mouths of those of you who've played both, what do you think?

Thanks, and sorry for any redundancy: I did try and search this out beforehand.

-Tim

I never even heard of Tokai guitars until I saw Tim Farriss from INXS using one. He has the same two Tokais that he has had for years. I have never seen anyone else use them either. Who else uses them?

SHM

I got my first Tokai in the mid 80. A strat by the way. I regret selling it. I just got a new Tokai ES120 with Duncan 59´s. It one of the best 336 style guitars I´ve ever played. Here in Copenhagen we have a dealer, that have a huge selection of Tokai´s and I have to say,
Tokai1.jpg
they are very good guitars. Sorry for the bad pic.

Cheers

hank

I own/owned both old and new. Do not run away from the new MIJ Tokais. They are excellent. I could also recommend the newer Edwards guitars as well.

yakyak

Silver Supporting Member
I have new and old. The new ones are great guitars but the older ones have more Mojo to me. If you are thinking of purchasing one, you can't really go wrong either way. You didn't mention Burny. They are far and away my favorites.

HRydarcik

I have a 1990 Greco Mint Collection Les Paul...a 2007 Edwards Les Paul and a 2007 Tokai ES 120...all are great guitars in their own right...based on my guitars I can't see that the vintage MIJs are any better than the new ones...oh yeah...I don't believe in that mojo crap.:D

DSCN0581.jpg

rhp52

I picked up a breezysound in the mid 80's played it for years never let me down. I've got a Lentz now, but until that one came along the Tokai was the bomb

Presently for sale

JLee

I never even heard of Tokai guitars until I saw Tim Farriss from INXS using one. He has the same two Tokais that he has had for years. I have never seen anyone else use them either. Who else uses them?
Stevie Ray Vaughn used a Tokai Strat and Billy Gibbons used to use Tokai Love Rocks live. My '02 LS200 Love Rock is the best guitar I've ever played/owned. The 2 Edwards I owned didn't come close. One of which was a LTS130RE. Even modified to hell, it still didn't come close. I had a mid 80s Burny that I regret selling. That one was a phenomenal guitar, but I couldn't live with the finish.

supar6

I've had a chance to play on several newer made Tokai's (example ALS70 and an older LS-100) and can say that if there is such a thing as mojo the LS-100 had it. However the newer ones felt like they played a little better.

For what it's worth I think the Tokai's were a GREAT deal back in the day before they became a fad. They were a great answer to Gibson for under half the price. Today - they are still well made guitars and worthy of comparison to some Gibsons but the price has in turn also gone up quite a bit. For the $$$ I'd buy a used LP before a Tokai unless you just can't stand Gibson. :)

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
I own a couple of Japanese-made Tokai Love Rocks and have played an old Tokai Love Rock. The older LR was a bit heavier and had a fatter neck. Played and sounded great though. Both my LR's have a medium neck and are on the light side (8.5 lbs). My personal opinion is that the Japanese-made Tokai's are just well made guitars period!

-KD

indravayu

I have never played an old Tokai, so I can't offer any comparison, but my 2005 Tokai Goldtop plays and feels awesome - especially for the low price that I paid for it.

- Chris

crosse79

I had an old Tokai strat while my friend has a newer one. The newer ones sounded pretty good but the old one just smoked. Perhaps it's because it's been played 20+ years. Sadly I sold it away because I wasn't used to the vintage radius.

cryptozoo

I've only owned old Tokais -- they're killer, but from the research I've done on them, the high-end new models are great as well. Personally, I like old stuff as the tops see to be a little more subtle looking and it's got a vibe to it, at least in my mind.

zoso19

I have a friend who owned a 1980s tokai strat and while i haven't played any of the new ones this one was seriously a great vintage specd strat with some seriously warm pickups

yakyak

Silver Supporting Member
Cool, good for you dude! Wish your demeanor was as good as those high dollar looking guitars. I prefer the feel of a broken in guitar (mojo),not those like yours that you paid an arm and a leg for and are afraid to gig for fear of a scratch! Oh sorry, I just noticed they are left handed. No wonder you can't find any with MOJO.

I have a 1990 Greco Mint Collection Les Paul...a 2007 Edwards Les Paul and a 2007 Tokai ES 120...all are great guitars in their own right...based on my guitars I can't see that the vintage MIJs are any better than the new ones...oh yeah...I don't believe in that mojo crap.:D

DSCN0581.jpg

HRydarcik

Cool, good for you dude! Wish your demeanor was as good as those high dollar looking guitars. I prefer the feel of a broken in guitar (mojo),not those like yours that you paid an arm and a leg for and are afraid to gig for fear of a scratch! Oh sorry, I just noticed they are left handed. No wonder you can't find any with MOJO.

The one on the right is 18 years old...and as far as gigging with them...that's not a problem.

l_1157e08e98e22f560f75895c4a78d24f.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom