New Tom Quayle signature Ibanez TQM1 announced.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JackInR, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JackInR

JackInR Member

2. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

3. willyboy

willyboy Member

Wow that looks fantastic. Though I've always liked the Vai and other similar Ibanez they were something I just wasn't super interested in owning. These new AZ models on the other hand, I'm very impressed with the direction they are going and now I can very much see grabbing one of these this year. Ibanez is doing some great things going to a more traditional look and having endorsers like Martin Miller and Quayle. Count me in.

kselbee likes this.
  4. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Tom is so insanely good.

sparkman, BenoA and j.s.tonehound like this.
  5. Ogre

Ogre Member

Congratulations Tom, you deserve it. Finally, an Ibanez I wouldn't be embarrassed to play.

Spanndrew likes this.
  6. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I've seen this guy in demo videos, but is/was he in a band? Or does he have a solo music career? Both?

7. ShinobiKama

ShinobiKama Member

I like that very much.

8. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

For some reason I was expecting some major blingy burst fetish thing but I am pleasantly surprised, I would rock that anyday!

9. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Member

Guessing hes out with Fibenare. Fibenare makes some of the best in the game. Ibanez seems to be trying to get a bit more classy on some of their designs for 2018.

10. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

11. Flaming Yawn

Flaming Yawn Member

I think he has some original music out there, but is mostly known as a Youtube instructional-type guy. He's a pretty astounding legato player.

I think we're definitely in a new age for "guitar heros", with a lot of them being know mainly for their online solo presence vs the traditional band route.

lugnut111, spiral, Holzar88 and 2 others like this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal Member

Nice looking guitar!

13. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

It's not versus "the traditional band route," it's versus becoming a guitar hero from making great music with a guitar

Isn't that a sure sign of the death of guitar (a la accordian)? When guitar is no longer used as, and considered to be, a tool with which one makes music, but instead is essentially a prop for product sales (to get more views, and hence sales) and/or a fashion accessory?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

Tom is an awesome player and that looks like a great instrument. :cool: Here's hoping that it isn't completely out of my price range. :eek: Can't wait to see more info coming out of NAMM 2018... ;)

15. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

Because instrumental guitar heroes don't endorse guitars, amps, pedals, picks, strings, etc etc. Online videos is just a new medium to sell things.

16. Flaming Yawn

Flaming Yawn Member

I've thought about this over the past decade or so many times. It certainly could be seen a couple of ways.....is the guitar so irrelevant in popular music now that it's becoming a relic, and a guy sitting in his bedroom recording videos can get a signature guitar? Or, has the climate and game just changed so much, that as we consume music and entertainment differently, and it is promoted differently, the definition of "guitar hero" doesn't even require that you be in a band/write and record albums/tour/etc. In my opinion, the more I thought about, the more similarities I see with selling and marketing guitar stuff to guitar geeks over the years. When the guitar playing is 100% the focus, the vehicle it's delivered on is really secondary. Having a band and having great songs isn't that crucial.

I view these guys like Quayle and Miller as modern-day Shrapnel shredders. Maybe more advanced, more tasteful, but still the focus is on soloing and technique. Players want to play like them, and they'll buy the gear they use in order to try to achieve that (or it's just a well-specced piece of gear from a knowledgable player that suits them). That's nothing new.

MrMoose likes this.
  17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

#sad.

Nathan Carrille and cmstrat like this.
  18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

This is the next phase of what the hair band era started: Guitar playing is now about how quickly one can move their fingers (and your video production and hosting skills), instead of what music one can make with a guitar. The downward spiral.

davidleerotharmy likes this.
  19. Flaming Yawn

Flaming Yawn Member

I think you are overstating the effect a small niche area of guitarists have on the big picture though. It doesn't matter to players who aren't into it.

mystixboi likes this.
  20. Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave Member

Yeah nice, reminds me of Govans sig. Such a quality player Tom is

ArtDecade and Holzar88 like this.