New Tone Tubby...San Rafael?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Darth Tater, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Anybody know the story on these? Their website doesn't say too much.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I think San Rafael is the town Eddie Van Halen is from. Could be?

3. jda

jda Member

No. San Rafael is where A Brown is located.

Looks like some kinda different magnet

4. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I have one and so far its the best tubby for me yet/well balanced speaker for sure/once word gets out a lot of people will be using these in 5 to 30 watt amps.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Tell us more about it! Type of cone? Type of sound....British/American? Large dustcap, small dustcap?

6. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I have one in a Princeton Reverb from 1965 and it is great match. I lent the amp to a friend just after putting in the SR25 and he says it just keeps getting better. He plays jam music like Dead and Kimock and wants this amp real bad. Hard to sell such an amp easier to loan for a long time.

7. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

One of the best speakers I have tried. I have it in a Headstrong Lil' King and it is amazing. It took a few hours to open up, but I have to say it mates so well with a blackface style amp. It has plenty of bottom end and a chimey yet smooth high end. The mid are to die for and it breaks up better than most speakers. Give it a shot, they are priced well and sound better than most speakers twice the price.

8. DC1

DC1 Member

Not much info on them out there, but I found this comment from one of their dealers:

The new Tone Tubby San Rafael Ceramic speakers are a lower power version of the 40/40 ceramic speakers for 50w and below power applications. They are available in 12" and 10" at 8 ohms or 16 ohms for only $99 each.

http://www.gotricities.com/thebuzz/viewtopic.php?t=9170

scroll down.

DC

9. Lance

Lance Member

I'm the dude Hank was nice enough to lend this amazing little amp to. I wish I had a sound clip to point you all to. I really don't have a whole lot of experience swapping out different speakers. So, just as a reference point, the only speakers I have listened really hard to would be an Emminence OEM sort of a vintage 30, a G12T75, and a 200W Black Shadow, and the SR25. Of these the SR25 stands out, quite a bit really. Granted, all of the other speakers have significant mileage on them. This TT seems to be broken in now, and sounds fantastic. It is a GREAT match for a low wattage BF Fender, for sure. Plenty of low end, with a great mid range. Very warm, and natural sounding that does have that nice high end sparkle. No ice pick at all. No cone cry. If it were edible, I'm sure it would taste delicious! :roll

I wonder how 4 of these would sound in a 4 x 12 cab in 16ohms.

10. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

He's from the Netherlands, then Pasadena I believe...

Famous San Rafael musicians: Carlos Santana, Ali Akbar Kahn, Jerry Garcia, etc.

Regarding the speaker, I think it's basically just a smaller ceramic magnet version of their other.

11. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

More to it than just smaller magnet/the voice coil, spider etc., are fine tuned as well. They did a great job. Really great speaker for a deluxe or Princeton reverb. To tell the truth, I did not think the speaker would be as good as it is, but man its really a good one. One of the top 5 or 6 for me personally.

12. Bossman415

Bossman415 Member

I have the Tone Tubby New Green Ceramic and the New San Rafael. Main difference between the 2 is that the new San Rafael breaks up sooner and has a much more rounder sounding top end, very thick mids, and a tighter low end. Think very fat, thick and full of tone. This is definitely a great speaker for an amp that is too bright. The Green Ceramic has a wider frequency with more bass, not as thick mids, but higher highs. Next purchase will be the Tone Tubby Alnico. I have heard too many great things about it. It definitely will get its day in court. Either way you look at it you can't go wrong with Tone Tubby. Kudos to the folks at A Brown Sound. Their speakers pretty much blow most others out of the water!!!

13. DC1

DC1 Member

I played one at NAMM in their booth.

Decent speaker, but not their best IMO.

The alnico 12 just murders everything in the booth to my ears, and I like ceramic speakers in general.

dc

14. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I tried one in my PRRI and did NOT like it at all. I thought the Weber 10A125 or the Weber 10F150T (50 watt version) sounded MUCH better. The San Rafael sounded weak, and thin in comparison, and didn't seem to have very much headroom as well.

:)

15. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

I'm from San Rafael! Ok, I'm not famous. I did go to pre-school with Santana's son. I've got a great picture of me as a little rugrat playing with toys and Carlos sitting right behind me. Yup, that's my claim to fame. So far, that seems to be it...

16. waylon

waylon Member

has anyone tried one of these in a fender tweed type amp? i'm wondering how it would match up w/ a Tweed Deluxe.

17. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I believe that Eric Clapton runs(ran) a pair if the H1, red frame alnico's, in his Corford "tweed" twin. There used to be a clip on the Tone Tubby page, or just listen to the Cream reunion CD/DVD.

18. waylon

waylon Member

thanks Purplexi. I'm really more interested in the San Rafael rather than the Alnico Red.

19. fishlog

fishlog Member

I have looked all over the place for info on the San Rafael's and information is scarce.

No sound samples
    No solid reviews
    even the Tone Tubby sight says nothing about them other than their "new" and "here"!

I kind of don't get it, Tone Tubby must totally be relying on their reputation to have to expect someone pay $100 dollars per speaker, $20 Shipping per speaker and California Sales tax (which made no sense to me since I live in Massachusetts). I wanted 4 of them for a 4x10 cab and it was going to cost over $500 dollars so I passed for the mean time. I think its crazy to invest that much money into something you can't even test drive or at least hear a sample of.

20. waylon

waylon Member

You are so right fishlog. This thread is over a year old and is the most 'info' I have found on the web regarding the speaker. A hit on TDPRI doesn't have much. And I haven't found a way to contact them on their site either to ask about it.