New Tool Single

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Matteo11, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

The thing that I don’t like the most about Tool is they seem to breed a segment of fans that think they are “woke” more so than other fans of music because they “get it”. They act like they can get the “deep meanings” beyond all other music simpletons. When I hear or read things from people like that I always hear the lyrics of “Hooker With A Penis” lyrics in my head and think if only “selling out” was replaced with the idea of “woke” by Tool.

Matt L, schmokes15 and murraythek like this.
  2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I think radiohead is like this too. People don't want to admit they don't like something.

ejecta, schmokes15 and tnvol like this.
  3. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I think a lot of bands fit into this category. The Dead come to mind. It's like people like the idea more than the actual music. Having said that.. I love Tool and can't wait to hear the rest of the record. Have been waiting a long time. I'll give it as many chances as I need to love it...

4. Sixshooter45

Sixshooter45 Supporting Member

I guess I’m in the minority here, I think the new track is pretty great. Yes, it sounds like what I would expect from Tool, and that’s exactly what I was hoping for. It’s the age old problem I guess, change your sound drastically...get ridiculed. Stay the course...get ridiculed. Either way, I’m looking forward to the new album.

5. murraythek

murraythek Member

Sounds derivative and phoned in. From Maynard’s recent stint on the Joe Rogan podcast, it doesn’t sound Tool gets along that well these days.

Someotherguy likes this.
  6. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

I liked it but maynards voice sounded different. It was mixed differently. But still good ole fashion tool

7. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

My experience of Tool, and bands like them, is context is everything: I don't bother listening to "singles" in depth as I'd rather wait until the album comes out and hear them in their proper context.

One of my favourites bands is Neurosis and I never bother listening to any pre-released stuff from them because the songs are a mere part of a greater whole.

Philhouse and M138 like this.
  8. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

Parts of that song are pretty amazing and great sounding, some parts are doomy, but there is that same old hook and parts are just tiresome. They need a new thing.

Overall though pretty damn cool.

9. Madsen

Madsen Member

I hope a ton of "fans" hate it & drop off so I can get decent Tix to the next tour.

10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

11. dwk302

dwk302 Member

Meh on the first listen, brilliant on the third.

Lamby likes this.
  12. ZenArcade

ZenArcade Member

I like it. It's a trip, it's got a funky beat and I can bug out to it.

buddatron likes this.
  13. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

I need to hear more before I will purchase at this point. My young and angry tool days were long ago, something new has to happen here for me.

14. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Actually, I did hear it on the radio. They played it a few times on WMMR in Philadelphia. I like the track, it slowly builds and is pretty interesting.

Lamby and chrisr777 like this.
  15. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

That is truly surprising. Can't remember the last time I heard a new song over five minutes long.

Britishampfan likes this.
  16. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Tool truly have an immense following and many of their old albums are again charting around the world in anticipation of the new one. I'll update it more in the thread on rock and metal on the charts around the world https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...es-worldwide-some-surprising-results.2024842/ but a few results are already in on the back catalog.

From Australia and the top 50 albums this week, Tool chart with an incredible 5 albums (including 3 in the top 10):

Tool #6
    Tool #8 (peak #1)
    Tool #9 (peak #1
    Tool #21
    Tool #43

From Finland's top 50:

Tool #27
    Tool #36 (peak #11)

From the Dutch top 100:

Tool #64 (peak #7)
    Tool #83 (peak #1)
    Tool #99 (peak #75)

17. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i dig it. more of the same, but they're a band where i'm not really sure if i'd really want them to stray too far from their core sound. this song really is a case of "haven't i heard this before?" though. (is it 'Forty-Six & 2' that i'm hearing?)

i sort of like that though, there's a "theme/familiarity/continuity" that they continually revisit and rework. i find Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails to be similar, his style/range is so relatively narrow that he almost recycles the same motifs (??) over and over. Glenn Danzig as well, now that i think of it.

18. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

19. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

20. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

I've officially listened to the song twice. Once the first day it came out and once yesterday.
    I'm a huge Tool fan, and have been since the mid 90s when I was in my formidable years as a 13/14/15 year old boy.

The second time it sounded like a different song to me. I couldn't remember a bulk of the song, and I felt like I was hearing different things in the song that time.

There are things going on in the song underneath the surface. So many nuances. It's almost as if you have to listen to just the bass guitar, and then listen to the song again and listen to just the drums and then re-listen to the song and listen to just the guitar, and then just the vocals.
    If I'm listening to it all at the same time I feel like I'm missing out on hearing the subtly of individual instrument overtones. Like I said, lots going on.

I think once the listener fully hears all of those things they will begin to appreciate the song much more.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Philhouse and pepedede like this.