New touch sensitive OD pedal (clip)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Jan 27, 2008.

1. lv

lv Member

I'm doing some beta testing for a pedal manufacturer...he sent me his most recent creation - a thick, bluesy sounding medium gain OD/distortion box that is one of the most touch sensitive pedals I have played.

Here's a clip with a strat, gain on the pedal was about halfway, and I did not adjust the pedal or the guitar other than switching from the neck single coil to the neck/middle - all clean to overdrive tones were achieved by changes in pick attack only.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6213529

Thoughts on the tone? I'm hoping these are going to be priced under $200.

2. Free

Free Member

The dynamics and clarity when cleaned up via gtr volume are truly great. I'd like to hear more clarity and less compression from the overdrive tone though - seems a bit too fat to my ears coming from a Strat. Again, that's just me. Though the overdrive tone does sound very amp-like.

3. lv

lv Member

I'm still dialing it in, I'll do more clips during the week.

4. Free

Free Member

Cool - I elabroted a bit on my original comment. Just putting my 2 cents in, since you asked and it's in development. Nice work.

-Mike

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

This is a trick, right? It's a Bad Monkey?

6. lv

lv Member

No, it is a pedal made by a small one man boutique operation, but I don't expect it to be priced outrageously.

7. lv

lv Member

It is a bit fat, though I like that. The amp settings aren't helping as I have the amp dialed up for a big bottom end, though otherwise fairly neutral tone. I need to do some Les Paul clips as well.

Where are you in Chicago? I'm out in the burbs near Woodfield.

8. lv

lv Member

Spent some more time with the pedal last night, this pedal excels at clean/slightly overdriven strat into blackface fender tones. Reminds me of a cross between an LDO and an Eternity. Very cool. More clips this week.

9. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

The OD tone sounds good to me (I like that barely overdriven tone), but when you switch to the LP wont it be TOO fat based on the Strat tones you are getting?

That said, I would definitely try one for my Strat and Ghia combo.

10. Free

Free Member

Yah - I could definitely hear that huge low end, and the general tone could indeed have more to do with your amp EQ. I'm sure you could get very different results with varying amp EQ's.

I was on the north sides, as well as, the near south side of Chicago for years - just south of the Loop. But, I moved to Oak Park around May, which is adjacent to Chicago.

-Mike

11. Free

Free Member

That same thing occurred to me too - worth considering. That's a big issue I have with boutique pedal makers - they base great OD pedals too much on Strat tone with little regard for Les Paul, 335, etc users. Not that you've done that neccessarily, Iv. It's just a general industry observation.

12. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Tried the MP Little Green Wonder?
    That pedal is THE benchmark IMHO....

JJ

13. lv

lv Member

14. lv

lv Member

I owned one for awhile - a very nice pedal, but imo this one is much better - more touch sensitive, better feel, more sustain.

15. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

the recording seems very muddy, hard to hear much of the touch sensitive-ness of the pedal...

try a BD-2, they are great for this type of stuff.

16. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

That does sounds pretty damn tasty ;)

17. lv

lv Member

You can't hear the difference between the clean parts and the overdriven parts? That is what I am referring to with regard to touch sensitivity.

One man's muddy is another man's smooth! The beauty in this pedal is when played lightly, it is clean and bright, when picked hard, it gets thicker, smoother and overdriven.

18. Squigglefunk

I can hear some difference but when you play lighter it seems to just get muddy and doesn't seem to clean up a whole lot. The full cranked sound is pretty nice and the playing is excellent!

19. Squigglefunk

it sounds exactly the opposite to me, the light playing is muddy and dull and when you dig in it gets more agressive, articulate and has a bit of bite to it.