New Toy (Mojo Cab Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axeplyr, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

I bought Fretmaster's ODs30SLX head last week, so I figured I need a well-matched cab. Ordered the Mojo 2x12 from here,

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/MOJOEXT.html

with a cane grill, black corners, and the 3-piece removable/convertible back.

The brown truck brought her yesterday.

http://www.tonecentral.net/Fluetter_mojotone_2x12_cab.jpg
    http://www.tonecentral.net/Fluetter_mojotone_2x12_cab_2.jpg
    http://www.tonecentral.net/Fluetter_gearpic_Jun06.jpg

A quick review.

At first, I was a little disappointed. I had to disassemble the cab to put my pre-Rola G12H30's (T1234, 75Hz cones). The first thing I noticed was that the back panels are MDF, not birch ply as I had expected. :FM Other observations - no washers for the speaker mount bolts. Had to wait till the next morning to load my speakers. :BITCH Finally, the baffle was much thinner than other baffles I have seen - looks like 1/4" or 3/8" ply.

Well, let's hear how she sounds. After getting the required washers, I installed the speakers and wired the cab for serial (16 ohm) operation. How does she sound?

Stellar. I have to say I think this cab sounds better than both of my 4x12's. A bit fatter, sings a little better, sustains notes longer, and imparts a warmth that really makes the Marshall sound and feel great! For the price ($310 shipped minus speakers, then $100 each for speakers), I would recommend this cab to anyone. It is definitely a vintage tone, however, and you might want to demand birch ply back panels.

Oh, and I might add that the speakers are probably helping this cab! :)

Now the wait for my new ODS30SLX will be even more painful.

Just thought I'd share.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. Nitefly182

Nitefly182 Member

classy. how is the construction quality on those? Ive always thought the wood looked a bit thin but they seem to be a good value, especially the 4x12s.

3. Axeplyr

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality. The wood is a little thinner. I don't know that this is indicative of quality, however. Perhaps the slightly thinner shell and baffle resonates a little better, resulting in a woodier tone? Dunno - I do know that this particular cab is the best one I've ever heard. Once again, the Pre-Rolas might be part of that.

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I was concerned about composite rear panels before. Ken from Ken's cabs uses OSB and says that it removes it from the equation, and lets the baffle and box get the sound, uneffected by the rear panel. to him this is a good thing.

The cab he built me sounds great so who am i to argue!

Nice cab. Enjoy!!

5. Axeplyr

Thanks. I'd have to agree. The tone of this cab does not seem to be negatively impacted by the back panel material. Stellar tone!

6. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

are these cabs made out of 412's made out of Birch wood? I think I am gonna pick up one soon.

7. Axeplyr

I'm sure they are. Not sure about the back panel though!

8. Axeplyr

I agree. I'm not thrilled with the idea of the back panels being MDF, even if there is no affect on the sound. I will probably call them on Monday and ask them about it.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

10. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I bought a 2x12 cab from them loaded with their Mojotone BVH 30 speakers for my Fuchs TDS 50. I drove to their facility to pick it up as it is about 90 miles from my home. They gave me tour! Cool place. Great products. I could not be happier with my cabinet - they even put white piping on it to match my head! I have had it now for nearly a year and it ans an incredible soundig unit!

11. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I'm a very pleased owner of a Vintage Sound (Mojo made) Blues Breaker cab. It's 30"X24"X12" and sounds tremendous. They got it to within 2 weeks of ordering. Here's a sketchy pic.

[​IMG]

12. Roe

Roe Member

my mojo bb ext cab is all birch ply

13. Axeplyr

14. Axeplyr

Cool. I bought mine for my Fuchs ODS30SLX, but decided to go without the piping. As you can see in the pic, the grill won't match either. But, I wanted to do something completely different, so I did. :)

These cabs do sound incredible. I've been doing a lot of A/B'ing with my Marshall 4x12s, and I keep coming back to the Mojotone cab. :AOK

15. Axeplyr

Gorgeous. What speakers do you have in that cab?

16. Axeplyr

Interesting. I definitely need to call them on Monday.

17. scottl

scottl Member

Looks great!

You may want to run her open back or part open with the Fuchs. I am not a fan of closed backs.....

Hope you dig the amp!

18. Axeplyr

Thanks, Scott. I'll be experiementing once the head shows up.

Do you think the G12H30's will be a good match for the ODS30SLX?

19. scottl

scottl Member

They may be, but they wouldn't be my first or second choice....

I really like my G12-65 speakers... Celestion is reissueing them btw.

I also like my Red White and Blues.

Best bet is to try the G12H30s. I am concerned about the presence peak in them. They may be perfest though!! I do know of many Fuchs owners who love them. I also think the German distributor loads them in as standard.

20. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I really like the G12H30 in the 1x12 combo cab, although I preferred two tonespotters in the Fuchs 2x12 separate cab, both with my ODS30 early Lerner SLX upgrade, now hopelessly out of date.;)

Right now I'm experimenting with a vertical 2x10 combo cab I picked up used, looking to get more of a "BFVR with an attitude" tone. It's working out real well for that, using a pair of Ragin Cajuns.

The ODS platform is very versatile and you can fine tune it to many different applications. I think you'll dig your new ODS30SLX.