New true bypass pop with acoustic pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wcraven, Apr 19, 2016.

1. wcraven

wcraven Member

I just recently started getting pops when engaging my TS-9 mini on my acoustic pedalboard (for leads while looping). I googled of course, and it seems to be the down side of the true bypass thing. Im powering with the one spot plus adaptor chain. I also just tried out a true bp trem that had a terrible pop when engaged, had to pull it. Will all of my pedals need to be buffered bc I'm going into a phantom powered pre? Will a dedicated power supply help ala Voodoo lab pedal power? I don't remember this being a problem in the past.

2. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Its true that true bypass pedals tend to "Pop" the first time, I don't think a buffer or power supply will fix it. I power my pedal board with a one spot and turn each pedal on and off once, then the pops are gone for the evening.

3. wcraven

wcraven Member

I tried the on/off clicks a few times before un-muting but its still there, so frustrating.

4. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

did you recently change your power plug location?

maybe a grounding issue / ground issue within the pedal itself?

does the Ts9 do it when isolated by itself?

you'll need to experiment

5. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

When I get the pop, it is either a bad cable, dirty plug or jack, or a cable is not inserted all the way in somewhere.

awallace likes this.
  6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

If multiple pedals are having the same issue, it's possible/likely that another circuit in your chain is leaking DC. Can you describe your entire signal chain? Are there any always-on preamps or anything upstream from those pedals?

7. rumbletone

They only "tend to pop" if there are issues with the setup. Fix leaky DC, use clean isolated power (not a daisy chained supply), and otherwise follow best practices for cabling and pedal placement, and there should not be any popping or other noise issues.

8. wcraven

wcraven Member

One patch cable has been problematic, will change that asap, that could cause a pop in another pedal?
    Gtr>TC mini tuner>TS9 mini>Boss DD3>Pure Pre-Amp/DI>PA

Want to add my diy trem but popped really bad

9. rumbletone

Is this for acoustic? If so, what is the source of the signal - mic, piezo with preamp, etc.?

10. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

11. wcraven

wcraven Member

Fishman piezo matrix infinity pickup

12. rumbletone

May be an issue between the Fishman and the subsequent pedals.

Does the issue go away with a different instrument (e.g., an electric guitar)? Does it pop with the Fishman's volume on zero?

Do you have a buffer or buffered bypass pedal available? If so, put it after the Fishman but before the true bypass pedals - does that fix the issue?

Or perhaps try the Pure preamp immediately after the Fishman (I assume you have it at the end so you can then go xlr out straight into the PA, but for trouble shooting purposes can you try it with the Pure pre right after the Fishman)?