New TT day

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Don P., Feb 14, 2020.

1. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

Finally retired my Technics SL-Q200 that I bought used in 1987 due to motor issues. The new tt is a Pro-Ject X1. My budget wasn’t very large so I was looking at a U-Turn with a Ortofon Blue and possibly a Debut Carbon Espirit SB because I really didn’t want to give up the automatic speed change which is why the Rega P2 was out. I have enough 45rpm records where removing the plater seems unappealing. Anyway, Music Direct had an open box X1 plus a 10% off sale on open box inventory, so I got this for less than $700 taxed and shipped where it normally would have been around $975. Also, running it through a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS pre-amp, mid ‘90’s Yamaha RX amp, and Kef Q-100’s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Cactus Bob, Badtone, Mr.Hanky and 4 others like this.
  2. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! Looks like you stuck a Rainier on it. I have a Moonstone in a small second system and it seems fine.

Don P. likes this.
  3. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

The X1 comes with the Rainier. I have already been looking at other cartridges( :facepalm) with the Moonstone being just a stylus change, but also an Ortofon Bronze (@ $440 it’s not likely) or a Audio-Technica microline, VM540ml or VM95ml.

4. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Sweet looking deck. I like the Wilco poster, too.

I have the Rega P2, and can attest to it being a complete PITA when in comes to changing speeds. It is however a rare issue for me so that didn't factor into my decision.

Don P. likes this.
  5. johntoste

johntoste Member

Congratulations!
    May it bring you joy.

Don P. likes this.
  6. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Good! I have the 2M Bronze and replaced it with the Moonstone, if that tells you anything. When you're ready, just buy the Moonstone stylus and see what you think.

Don P. likes this.
  7. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

Thanks. I am going to spin the Rainier for a bit while I save up some money for the Moonstone. From the first spin the difference between the two turntables and cartridges was obvious.

8. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

My Fugazi and Minor Threat (amongst others) records alone made manual speed change a non starter, but my recent splurge on Acoustic Production Blue Note 45rpm records... no way.

I went to both Wilco shows on the poster. I used to love going down to NYC for shows, especially two nighters, but the cost and the 3+ hour drive is a turn off anymore. I haven’t been down there since I saw Van Morrison in 2006. Tom Waits is the only performer who could get me down there now and I don’t see him touring again.

marktweedy likes this.
  9. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

any chance we can her from the neck down too...congrats1

10. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

Nice looking table and sounds like a great deal as well.

In a somewhat related note, I have become a KEF fan boy after getting a pair of LS-50 Wireless speakers. I have them in the office: it's a small room and they sound incredible. I also have a pair of KEF X300As that I bought off eBay. They only lasted a couple of months before one speaker has no output (they are active speakers) and I just sent them an email tonight about getting them repaired. They sounded awesome when they were working.

Also, I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow and hope to hear the KEF R3s. You never know what might happen!

Don P. likes this.
  11. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

There is a sale going on now for LS50s @ $899 a pair and I am really trying to figure out a way to rationalize buying a pair. I’ve seen scratch and dents for $813. I may end up doing Amazon payments for around $50 a month. Want badly, don’t necessarily need. Cambridge Audio CXA 60 & 80 are discontinued and discounted as well. Yes, I am a cheap b@stard with shallow pockets. I got the Q-100’s discontinued for $250 + credit card points and was only out of pocket for $33.