New Tube Company? (Northern Electric)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Stu Blue, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

Any one know anything about these new kids on the tube block? http://thetubestore.com/northern-electric.html

I love the bit about "ferrari" of tube manufacturing.....

Quote from Northern Electric:
    [FONT=arial, helvetica]We are now re-introducing this classic brand and bringing to you the highest quality tubes possible. We are working together with a small, foreign tube manufacturer to produce exceptional high quality versions of common audio tubes. And while this manufacturer is not well known, they are the “Ferrari” of tube manufacturing and design.

The manufacturer’s immaculately clean factory houses state of the art and high precision equipment. All of the design and production is overseen by a living legend in tube design, Zhe Shen Liu.
    [/FONT]

2. Trout

Trout Member

Zhe Shen Liu has been in audio tube design for several decades, I would not call it a surprise that they are still producing tubes.
    I seem to remember them being linked to Full Music.

http://www.avguide.com/blog/look-inside-the-chinese-audio-industry

3. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Member

Sorry fellows, it's another example of trademark squatting in the Mike Mathews line.

According to TESS, The Tube Store registered this trademark in December 2010. It was registered by The Tube Store in Canada on January 24 of this year, see the CIPO website. The original Northern Electric trademark went inactive in Canada in 1996. It belonged to Northern Telecom, which became Nortel, which is in bankruptcy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortel

4. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

I found a UK wholesaler who would sell to the public Chinese 12AX7s £15 for five.... At £10-30 each I think there's a lot of people who add a little marketing and see a profit margin that's very temping. Same valves with five( more?) different names on it?

5. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Not much different than what TAD and GT are doing, with the exception of the audiophile price.

6. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Member

Anyone with the filing fee can get in on this. Last time I looked Arcturus and National Union were still vacant....

I wonder, just who in the hell do they think they're fooling besides credulous morons?

7. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Chinese yes,junk? No.They are great tubes.Try em before you judge.
    The Chinese are quite capable of making great quality stuff with western quality control experts.
    Better materials and stricter manufacturing processes = better tubes.
    They have been tested and tried by The Tube Store and they are all about selling great quality stuff.

8. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I was hoping someone out there would be making tubes that are needed these days but not being manufactured like 6EU7...a few others i can think of.

9. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Here's a current production 6eu7: http://www.tubedepot.com/so-6eu7.html

several yrs ago i bought a few for 6eu7 positions in some Gibson amps------ they operate the amp just fine---- i like the tone of old production 6eu7's better..................................gldtp99

10. neteraser

neteraser Member

Could you say that without giving them a try?
    The same price they take for a ****** old RCA tube on ebay.

11. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

Well.....fool enough of them and the rest doesn't really matter, does it?

cheers,
    wade

12. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Member

I'm not about to spend $58 on a rebranded Chinese 12AX7 even if the vendor does agonize over how they perform and even if the production was overseen by Mao Zedong's ghost. The Northern Electric monicker isn't worth $45 extra to me. Reasonable minds may differ about this, and I have bought from the vendor in the past with good results. Careful shoppers will never have a problem obtaining good tubes at a good price if they await their moment and strike hard and fast.

13. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

I note that the price for chinese "Northern" valves (and the Russian "Gold Lions") is much the same as Tech Tubes charged for Made in England at the old Mullard plant tubes.. (it was the rest of the non-valve corporate problems that killed that one off).

14. chervokas

chervokas Member

Yeah, but at least the Tech Tubes were a very different, new kind of tube design based on CRT tech which was the core business of the company (and the reason the company failed, I presume, since the demand for CRTs has fallen off the table in the LCD/Plasma monitor era). Is there anything new or proprietary in the design and construction of these relabelled tubes or is the premium just for the branding?

15. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

They bought the right to use the trade mark. Now You have to pay for it.

JJ came to existence through management buy out from old Tesla. Luckily these guys realized they don't need Tesla brand name. They only informed everybody about origins of the new company. Smart slovaks.

16. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

You appear to have misunderstood me. My point was the costs of production in England, wages etc, are ten times the costs in China... which is why the great corporations moved so much of their production there. At first when you lost your job at least you got cheap radios/computers/etc in exchange... Now they want to charge premium prices for for cheaply made stuff... lose-lose for us... severe exploitation at both ends.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  17. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Quote:
    Not much different than what TAD and GT are doing, with the exception of the audiophile price
    My tube budget doesn't have room for a $58 Chinese tube. If these prove to have the tone and longevity of NOS, then I might take a different position. Until that is proven, I'll stand by my original statement.

18. Billm

Billm Member

Not to change the subject too much, but if you want a premium-sounding 12AX7 at a non-premium price, try the TAD 7025WA. It's a triple-mica design and it sounds really sweet.

19. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

AES had these on sale a while back. Meant to try some, as I'm looking for something different than what New Sensor is offering. I bought some of Mike's (KCA) "Recession Sale" JJ 803's and like the tone of them. Since we're only a little off topic, I purchased 7-8 NS Tung Sol RI 12AX7's several years ago. They sounded OK, but of the batch I bought, maybe 2-3 are still working in my amps. That's why I'm waiting before I spend $58 on a Chinese tube. See, we're back on topic!

20. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Oh no, more chinese tubes for 3x the price.....