new tube recto'd TopHat Club Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffmeister, Sep 20, 2005.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Just got it today. Has that famous TH build quailty. The only cosmetic difference between this amp and my 2004 tube recto'd Club Royale is that the chickenhead knobs are a little different, and kind of cooler looking, IMO. The amp came with two EH 6V6's, an EH 12AX7 for V1, two Ei 12AX7's for V2 & V3, and an NOS Philips/Sylvania 5Y3 rectifier. I was a little skeptical of the 5Y3 rectifier, as I used one briefly in my '97 Club Deluxe (vol/tone/cut model) and didn't like the loss of definition that resulted. Let me tell you, this amp sounds absolutley FABULOUS!!! It is a little less punchy than the CR with GZ34 (I did an A/B test), but oh my goodness, the Fat, Articulate, Tone-Drenched sounds coming from this amp are absolutely amazing! I was playing the amp through a custom Swanson 1x12 combo cab (wider and slightly less deep than the new TH 1x12 combo cabs) with Celestion Blue. Wow........what an amp! I like the additional girth and saturation that this amp provides relative to the CR. It's maiden gig will be in one week. :dude

2. riffmeister

shoot.........I think I just stepped on a cricket. :mad:

:D

3. dehughes

dehughes Member

I'm listening.... :)

david

4. johnyfavorit

johnyfavorit Supporting Member

riffmeister, i have yet to try the club deluxe. i already have three tophats and i'm scared!:eek: how does it compare with an ambassador 6v6?

5. riffmeister

Ambassador has a completely different preamp design and, of course, reverb. And with a 4x6V6 poweramp section, the Amb has more clean headroom and bigger bottom end. So, I'd say they are fairly different sounding.

The Club Deluxe and Club Royale are the same amp except the CR has EL84's and the CD has 6V6's. So there is a fair amount of overlap in sound between the two amps. The CR sounds more Voxy to me.......a little more spare in the midrange which gives the amp a more "chimey" sound. The CD sounds fuller in the mids and upper mids to me. The pairing of the CD with a Celestion Blue is heavenly!

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Hey, I got my ears on, too.

To broaden the discussion on Top Hats here - have you talked to Brian Gerhart recently, about his plans to resume production from his new place in NC? Any new amp designs? = K

7. riffmeister

Not sure what BG's up to. The amp he just sent me was made in Anaheim, I think, based on the person's name that signed the chassis. I know Brian has been filling a few new orders for his amps based on the banter over at the TH forum, but I suspect he's also got some new things up his sleeve that he hasn't let onto yet.

8. straticus

straticus Member

Congrats on the new Top Hat Pete!

I still miss my old Emplexidor.

9. riffmeister

10. riffmeister

Put the CD chassis in the cab and used it at a mini Blues Jam at a friend's house last night (two guitars, bass, drums, vocals/harmonica).

Absolutely awesome amp! Big, full, articulate, great crunch tones, infinite sustain with the Fulldrive on.

I love this amp!!! :dude

11. gsf

gsf Member

Riiff - Congrats - We all know how you love those Top Hats!

12. riffmeister

What? Who let the secret out??

:p

13. riffmeister

So I had my first gig with this amp. Two guitars, bass, drums, vocals, blues type music. Wow! I've owned more TopHat amps than care to mention......but this one really is a standout. It is a brand new amp. The power transformer is bigger by a little bit than the one in my '04 Club Royale, and the amp came with an NOS 5Y3WGTA Philips rectifier tube (as far as I know, all the new tube rectified Club Royales, mine included, come with a higher voltage GZ34 rectifier). The combination of the beefier PT and lower voltage 5Y3 rectifier and the Celestion Blue that I'm using is Pure Magic!!!! The "clean to scream from the guitar's volume control" factor exceeds any other TopHat amp I've owned.......nice chimey cleans witht he guitar volume rolled back and roaring throaty overdriven tones with the guitar volume up. This is accentuated by using a s/s/h Strat type guitar such as my Suhr. Absolutely NO DIRT BOX NEEDED to get the level of 'scream' I want at the volume levels I want......and the 5Y3 provides just the right amount of compression for those screaming tones.

Thanks Brian.........I think you've outdone yourself with this fabulous amp!! :dude

14. JDW3

JDW3 Member

now I have search out the new model! My '99 CR has been my main amp for 5 years. But now a superior model? I've been resisting a GAS attack for too long.

Is the bigger PT giving you more clean headroom? Different tonality?

15. riffmeister

Using a strong GZ34 rectifier, the new Club Royales are tighter and punchier than earlier models and still have those great touch responsive crunch tones. If you need to notch up the volume more and/or need more clean headroom, then the Super Deluxe is a great choice.......similar tonality but more muscle.

My new Club Deluxe is running with a 5Y3 rectifier, which will give the least amount of clean headroom from the amp. I tried a 5Y3 in my early script logo Club Deluxe (vol/tone/cut model) and didn't care for it much.....too mushy. But in this new amp, it sounds fantastic.......esp when driving a Celestion Blue. The "clean to scream" factor at useable volumes (suitable for smallish clubs) is absolutely fantastic with this arrangement. At some point, I'll experiment and swap out the 5Y3 for a GZ34 and play the amp through a 2x12 cab......more oomph will result, I'm sure. But for now, the current setup suits my needs to a "T".