New tubes and speaker for my peavey classic 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aic7575, May 10, 2015.

1. aic7575

aic7575 Member

I now have 2 high gain JJ ecc83s for v1 and v2 of my c30 and I now have a sovtek 12ax7 LPS for v3.I read lots on that tube and it seems like a popular one for phase inverter on the c30. I watched lots of demos of the sovtek and asked lots of questions. There's a few tubes I want to try yet. Such as preferred series 12ax7. For speaker I am ordering an eminence governor. Great sounding speaker with strong mids. I will easily be able to cut through the mix. To be honest my classic 30s stock speaker blue marvel has been worked in now since I bought it new a year and a half ago it has nice bottom ends and strong mids. Just a little too harsh high end. The governor will smooth out the high end I think. I will record a demo of all this when I get the speaker installed.

2. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I wouldn't let those JJ ECC83's anywhere near my amps. Too dull and lifeless. Of course YMMV. For Peavey Classic 30 and 50 I actually prefer the Sovtek EL84's in them. And I was always a JJ EL84 guy. I found that after trying 3 or 4 different Celestions in my Classic 30 I preferred the Blue Marvel over all of them. I think they got it right the first time.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Your amp will know life a lot better with an ANOS Mullard or Amperex in the v1 slot. Just one. I have heard the difference in my c-20 and my friends c-30. It is significant.

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Agreed, I came upon some old GE NOS EL84s. Wow! - Significant Tone Upgrade.