New Tubes For BUDDA SD18 Head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by S.A.M., Jan 21, 2008.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I picked up a SD18 head off ebay a couple weeks ago and I think I need new power tubes/rectifier. While I was jamming last night I started get a real nasty crackly sound, with volume drop. I removed everything from my chain and went guitar -> amp, and it was still doing it. What do you guys recommend? I'm probably going to call dougstubes today, and hope I have them by Friday for my weekend gigs.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    In new production tubes, the Tung Sol Reissue 12aX7s are good. For EL84s the TADs or JJs.

3. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

In my SD18 combo; NOS Brimar in V1 (thank you Mike K) which seemed to give it more cut and clarity. JJs in the other two slots. Amp seemed really "dark" when I got it, these seemed to help a bunch.

My rectifier was bad when I received the amp, i.e. no sound/blown fuse. Grabbed the quickest thing I could to get up and running (a Sovtek?) and ordered a NOS Sylvania. The Sylvania also seemed to make a difference; seemed smoother.

Good luck -- GREAT amp!

4. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Hi, I also own an SD18 myself. I find the tone quite dark. If I change the tubes to Tung Sol 12AX7s and JJ EL84s, would I get a brighter sound? It looks like these tubes are very popular in their class...

I still have the stock Groove Tubes installed now.

5. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

6. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

What did you end up going with in your SD18 for new tubes?

7. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I just put a Sovtek 12AX7WB (emphasis on the B) in V1 of my 18 and I have to say, it's a great match. Evidently this is the tube for V1 that Budda designer Jeff Bober recommends and it really warmed up and added low end to the drive channel compared to the tube that was in it.

I got the amp used a few months ago and was always suspicious of the Ruby tubes that were in it. I had a Chinese Mesa tube I tried that was too gainy and harsh. And believe it or not, an electro-harmonix was too fat to fit in the socket.

8. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Did you change the power and rectifier tubes also?

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'd go NOS, if you can. I run GE 12AX7s in my SD30 for the preamp tubes, and NOS Tesla EL84s for the power tubes. Stock rectifier. Lots of good choices for NOS stuff - but, those are what work for me. I actually prefer GEs in this amp over Mullards (I know - call me crazy!).

New production - Tung Sol, EH, Sovtek LPSs are good choices. JJs are nice but, I find them a bit dark for the SD30. JJ EL84s are a great choice for new production as well. Hope that helps.

10. puls

puls Member

If I change out some tubes in the Budda, does it need to be re-biased? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's self-biasing, but I could be mistaken. It's not in the brochure that came w/ the amp.

jwp