New Tubes, New Sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NR2112, Mar 28, 2008.

1. NR2112

NR2112 Member

Hey everybody,
    I am currently playin with a Peavy JSX head, they have some el34 power tubes. I was toyin with the idea of droppin some new power tubes in to get a new sound. If I do, will the sound change be really noticable? I would like a more thick, powerful tone. Will it change the clean tone also? any suggestions??? Thanks! :confused:

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I think what will also affect your tone is how the new tubes are biased compared to the old.

How much you will notice or if at all is really hard to tell. Some folks live and die by the difference and some don't care that much.

Since I find an amp never sounds exactly the same on any two days, it's really hard to set a reference point. That being said, I'm pretty sure I've heard real differences from tube changes, although most of my experience is with preamp tubes.

3. NR2112

NR2112 Member

I see. Good point. now that I think about it, the amp changes with each session, and that could be a whole new topic! Like some cosmic type stuff. But, yea, i hear ya, think ill try it out. I would like to start tweakin my stuff so it sounds as clear and precise as possible.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I prefered my JSX with 6L6's. Sounded smoother to my ears than any EL34's I tried. Bob

5. NR2112

NR2112 Member

Thats what I was thinking about doin. Since the JSX is setup to convert to 6l6's, Did you have to bias ( or re-bias?) the amp? or could you just drop them in and be on your merry way?

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Flip the switch to the 6L6 setting,put them in and set the adjustment knob at around 12 oclock. Or use a multi meter set to DCV in the test points in back and adjust the knob until it reads -55 VDC. This isnt an accurate way but it is to peavey specs. Bob