new tubes? speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by afonsor, Jun 10, 2008.

1. afonsor

afonsor Member

Hey,

got a hot rod w/ a vintage 30 from a friend who doesn´t play. when I hit the E string hard the sound kinda saturates and distorts... if I play it softly the sound is normal, bright & clean. gotta send it to a tech... if it needs new tubes, which ones make it sound the best? do I have to change them all?

thanks and take care

:band

2. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Could just need a bias job. Could be tubes... could be a bad speaker.

Know anyone who might have a couple power tubes you can borrow?

3. afonsor

afonsor Member

yes, I can do that... but how do you that the problem is in the power and not preamp tubes? I mean, I'm sorry to ask but I know very little about tubes and I'm trying to learn [​IMG]..
    I know that the valves have at least 1 &1/2 years and that the amp was regularly played/giged during this time. do old valves need bias jobs?

thanks

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I have a '97 Hot Rod Dlx that I bought used last year. I only use it for the clean channel. It sounds great, but at some point I do plan on upgrading the tubes. From all the reviews and feedback I've read, I'd say your best bet for new tubes (as opposed to NOS) would have to be TAD (Tube Amp Doctor). These are the ones I plan on going with when the time comes. As far as I can tell, they make the best new 6L6GC's out there. And their pre-amp tubes are equally great. And they don't cost any more than JJ's or Groove Tubes. But, IMO, they're better. Read the user reviews for them on Harmony Central and you'll see what I'm talking about. I've spent a lot of time researching new and NOS tubes for that amp, and I think it is the best way to go, sound and money-wise.
    I have heard a lot of good feedback on using a Vintage 30 in a Hot Rod Dlx, so I recommend hanging on to that (at least for now), unless the speaker is bad.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

You can check the tubes, tap them with a wooded stick with the amp on and out of standby with no cable connected, a bad tube will make a loud pop when hit, if its the power tubes you need to replace all the power tubes with matched sets, if its a preamp tube they can be replaced individually

6. afonsor

afonsor Member

thanks!
    is it secure, no risk of "boom"?

7. afonsor

afonsor Member

thanks a lot for the info. I'll check those tads. mine is the green hot rod dlx, its some sort of "special" edition w/ vintage 30. See you did a lot of research, any idea of long tubes last for the regular hot rod player?

8. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Risk of Boom (LOL) exists if you bash the tubes real hard. A light tap with the amp turned up loud should be all ya need.

9. afonsor

afonsor Member

eheheh
    ok, I'll try it!

thanks