New tune inc Backing Track on request from Unix-guy

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, Oct 1, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I read in a post that Unix-guy wanted a slow BT. He wrote he wanted something in the style of Satriani/Vai. Sad to say I have never heard a full tune from either of these gentlemen. When I sat down to write and record I just wrote in a style I felt comfortable with at the time. So you will have to make do with a slow tune in my style.

This time it's my Suhr Classic all the way. As usual recorded with my Boss GS-10. I wasn't quite happy with the sound at first so I used the option of "modifying" my own amp that's in the GS-10. The result was a very dynamic sound. All the shades of tone and overdrive comes from change in picking strength and change of volume and tone on the Suhr. Except for the last solo part (ride cymbal in the BT) where I kicked in the GS-10 model of a Marshall Gov'nor pedal.

The rest of the instruments are VSTi running on Cubase SX.

Here is the tune:
    Shadow From Behind

Here the BT:
    Shadow From Behind Backing Track

Looking forward to your takes on this one. Go slow or rip it up, I will listen with pleasure!

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

That's what I'm talking about. :AOK

Sweet playin' Mats. I'm liking this track too.

3. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Wow! Thanks, Mats - sounds excellent. Very tasty playing on your take. I'll see if I can't work this up tonight :D

I love playing over ballady stuff, so it should be fun!

Kevin

4. journo

journo Member

Hi Kevin,

To paraphrase to old car rental slogan "I aim to please!" Glad you liked it.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Ok, here is my take: ShadowJam

Very unintentionally this song developed a vintage, classic-rock vibe to me with the slow, octave harmonies during the repeated motif.

That's a strange dichotomy with the very un-vintage stylings of the keys and electronica/modern R&B drum sounds... Yet also strangely satisfying :cool:

Not sure how happy I am with the auto-wah during the "solo" - compliments of Amplitube LE plug-in (added after recording), but it is interesting :)

Let me know what you think.

Journo - for my curiousity, can you give a basic walk thru the chord changes? I had some tough moments finding my way thru some parts...

Thanks,

Kevin

EDIT:
    -------

Gear used: '87 Sabre (neck single coil) -> Carl Martin compressor -> Barber Direct Drive -> T.C. Electronics SCF -> Guyatone MD-3 -> Ashdown Peacemaker 40 (vol on 1) ->sm58 -> Mbox

During the solo, I used a Tube Screamer (TS9) and the bridge humbucker...

6. fig

fig Member

Hi Mats -

Great backing, as usual. :)

Love your tone and solo . . as usual. :)

7. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

thanks for sharing, Mats!

Really liked your song!

mark

8. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

Hi Mats,
    Very nice take. You had my attention thru the whole tune with great tone and phrasing. Another well done BT also. :)

Are you serious? You haven't listened to Satriani or Via? That's too bad. They both have had their moments. I like Satriani more than Via, but I didn't really like his last album. I really liked the DVD he put out called Joe Satriani Live in San Francisco.
    To me, that was Joe at his best.... IMHO

9. journo

journo Member

Hi Kevin,

What do I think? I think your take very well illustrates one of the main reasons I put up my BTs. You have a vision of this that would never have entered my mind. So your take gives me new ideas. Both about this tune and what I may want to do next.

The sounds you chose are very dry and is a very strange and odd contrast to the BT but still goes with it in an interesting way. I will listen to this quite a few times.

Regarding the chords. Basically the main part (first 16 bars) of "a turn" is in G where I mainly used an am scale to improvise.
    The more awkward last 8 bar part is:
    I C Cmaj7 I C7 I F I Ab I
    I C am I fm/Ab G#dim I C6/D I D7 I

Cheers,

Mats N

10. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Thanks - its funny, I remember back when Jeff Beck's "Guitar Shop" came out and reading that all of the backing music and song structure was not written by him, but by Tony Hymas (the keyboardist).

I thought it was really weird that he didn't write the tracks because that is how I usually write a tune - all by myself. I'm enjoying this process for the very reason that I'm playing outside of my comfort zone, I don't know the changes (my ear for transcribing sucks!) and they are in keys where I have to "work" (I usually write very "major" oriented music primarily in A and E) :)

Its giving me a chance to create some interesting music and strengthen some of my weaker areas, and that is a good thing.

So, keep up the good work - keep 'em coming and I'll keep recording over them! :D

Kevin

11. journo

journo Member

Hi Adlib, Jeff, Fig and Mark,

Thanks for your moral and musical support!
    I know how hard it is to find time to do things you want to do so it warms my heart that you "waste" your time on my tracks.

Cheers,

Mats N