"New" Tune

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jmcerlain, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Here is a not so new tune of mine. There is a snippet of it on the Bogner site for the Shiva. Here is the full tune called AM Zona. It will be on my CD that I hope to have done this summer.

It is a Shiva el34 head thru 70's Marshall cab with Greenbacks. The guitar is a Suhr classic with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 2.2's ( soon to become Area 58 and 61's) The solo and melody were done live ( I work best that way) and I overdubbed the background guitars.

I love the bass palyer ( Kip Reed) and drummer (Hary Ganglberger)

Let me know what you think,

Jeff

http://www.jeffmcerlain.com/music/AMZona.mp3

2. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Great writing tones and playing ! Loved it....real soulful......
    I think I know Kip from back in the day......look forward to hearing more from you...and I will pick up your cd when you finish it 4 sure....

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Really cool stuff, Jeff! I love the way it builds.
    Greg

4. jmcerlain

Thanks for the reply guys!

Hey Sub-D, yeah Kip is great. One of my favorite players. I played with him in a band Liquid Hips in the 90's. We had a good run in Europe for a while. What a player, he just did a session I was producing for Casey Henry (she's a singer I'm working with.)

Thanks gklem. The guys really made the dynamics come to life. It was a good day.

5. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

Wonderful tune...I really love your musical playing! 5 stars!

cheers,
    Frank

www.frankaxtell.com

6. jmcerlain

Frank,

Sorry for the slow reply. Thanks so much for the compliment. I checked out your site, you sound great. Nice tunes, tone and one cool lookin' site as well.

Jeff

7. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I still listen to

[​IMG]

regularly and

[​IMG]

now and again :)

Kip is a monster. As are you. As is John, who played in my band, "Sample This!" for a few years! Great tune - glad to see you guys are still making good music! :D

8. jmcerlain

Wow! I think my head just exploded looking at those covers. There is a 3rd album by Liquid Hips called "Rageaholic" it was the heaviest of the 3. I had a lot of fun in that band and miss it a lot. Those guys kicked my ass, they were all so much better than me. I think I play much better now, Jeez that was 10 years ago:jo
    Kip is the best, I must agree. Have you checked him out on the Herminators CD with Mitch Stein and Rodney Holmes?

I think I'll give John a call...

9. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Really nice mixture of lead tones- goes from clean to complete balls out very nicely. Excellent stuff.

Mike

10. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Such nice motifs and sensitive, passionate playing throughout.

11. wortles

wortles Member

Man, i had to stop messing around on the internet, and start practicing after that. If you got that all in one take, i am going to have to kill myself. All those different sounds, clean, breakup, total overdrive.

Are you manipulating volume and tone constantly while you play?
    I wish I could do that.
    that was freakin fabulous, i go practice now...

12. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Jeff,
    Now.... thas' what I'm talkin' 'bout bro :)
    Lets see now....

Dynamics, phrasing, taste, tone, choppage with restraint, and that haunting maj/min cadence change.
    And that slow, yet furious build with little peaks and valleys... well... dude... all I can say is I bet your wife, Paula is a happy camper LOL

Whatcha posting next?

Harry J

13. jmcerlain

Thanks guys, I really apreciate the comments.

Wortles, I my have had a punch or two:D But it was straight through for the most part. It was a good day, that rhythm section always kick my butt.

Harry, thanks for the compliments. I know you were not much of a fan of my playing in the early days! Jeez, that was about 18 years ago!:jo I'm glad you like it now, there is some of you in there somewhere.

I'm not sure I understand your reference to Paula. Please explain in more detail:D On second thought... let's just leave that alone.

14. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Still digging the hell out of it. And I love the drummer too! :)

15. jmcerlain

Hey Ed, long time... If you ever get to NY to do a fretless guitar gig at the Knitting Factory and need a great drummer and a bass player who refuses to learn tunes, I have just the guys for you.

I also used that bass player on a gig once...once. He didn't learn the tunes and brought an amp with a blown speaker. He knew the speaker was blown he just "hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet" and it was "lighter that his other amp". Turns out Hary did a whole tour with him and he never learned the tunes. He kept on messing up. I guess he doesn't like doing gigs.:p