New tune

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by CocoTone, May 8, 2008.

1. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

2. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am listening to it now, sounds pretty cool man! Your voice is nice, clean...maybe too clean, don't be afraid to put growl into your blues voice. Growl is easy to do once your voice is warmed up ( piano scales 1,3,5 type combo). The growl I am speaking of, shouldn't come from your lower throat, rather your soft palette area and above. Also, try rolling your tongue with the piano scales, like a spanish R roll, while always holding the r in a continous flutter throughout. AFter maybe 3-5 sessions, your R's should be coming along on some higher notes in your range. Don't strain.

Regarding the tones and mix:

The beginning of the song is amazing, nice depth. Then the drum sound comes in : Arrrgggg, wrong sound for this song, right sound for a metallica type tune. Try recording the drums with overheads ( ribbon or condensor) as the main drum sound, focusing the deepest resonance of the floor tom and kick, -as the place to put the main and most expense condensor.

Then put the other overhead, ribbon or different condensor in most resonant area for the rest of the drums, but check for phase problems( a thinner sound than the single condensor). Then add a beyer m88 or another kick mic in front of the drum (not the beater side) and add another mic for hi hat and snare, point this mic where you hand lifts up he longest after your drummer hits it, again max resonance.

Now add in the 2 close mics but not too much.
    This big, spacious drum sound is what you need my friend, not a bright in your face, no depth kit.

I would make the keys mono and pick a side and that should also take care of the their general too loud at times thing.

Guitar tone, of course ;) is fanatastic, I might not keep the delay so wet or even on quite so much, as it looses its appeal and effect about the time you hit the solo.

Last, the bass could be turned up? maybe add some warmth with a plugin or if the bass wasn't DI'd then definitely just turn it up or add some drive to the bass for character. Sounds a litte too clean.

That is my 2 cents.

Overall, sounds a like a great song, and has even more potential yet!

Nice work!

3. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Thanks for the listen!! On the drums,,,well, that amy be a bit of a problem, seeing as our drummer has the recording studio in his basment, and that is his baby so to speak. The good thing is, he takes critique well!!
    I am going to give him your suggestions, and see how it sounds. Everything you said makes sense to. As for my voice,,,!!!! I will keep you posted.

CT.

4. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I mean for blues, some growl is great. James Lugo's vocal asylum kit is a great buy! The drums were not great in the song, great playing though...
    I just totally imagine a bassier, growling snare with some plate or room reverb, a meatier kick maybe not too boomy either, cymbals sounded great, and just overall resonance for the drums ( technique I described).
    The Bass needs to louder and with some hair, but not much.
    Those changes will go miles dude.

5. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Sounds like an all around excellent effort to me.

I am especially suprised at the quality of the mastering.

Great recording.

Your voice is fine as is.

We all wish for something we don't have in our recordings...but as long as it's effective...I think were good.

And there is the extended ending...fine sounding stuff...the tune just gets better as it goes out...makes a real good impression.

In the beginning I thought the guitar tone was iffy but it just got better and the end was classic...no let downs whatsoever.

Personally I would hesitate to change anything...but that's just me.