New Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vanzant!, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Vanzant!

Vanzant! Member

I just visited the Sonic Research website and ordered myself up the Turbo Tuner ST-200...could be sweet!
    [​IMG]

2. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

Ive also been looking into a tuner.. I want a tuner thats true bypass, Built well, as accurate as possible and doesnt have that confusing strobe tuning visual like the sonic research. I've tried it and hate it.

3. Vanzant!

Vanzant! Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...But when you look at it, the Turbo Tuner has all of what you are looking for except it has the strobe. I am not sure they make a needle tuner that is as accurate...perhaps the strobe exists because it is a more accurate reader than the needle...don't know. I am also a little weary about how I will like the Strobe, but after watching many videos of people tuning with the Turbo Tuner I think I see the appeal. We'll see...I really like the footprint, accuracy, and the fact that it's built in the U.S.,and I think one can get used to the strobe.

4. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Since I play a Fender (6-in-line) the strobe was really intuitive to me. Circle going clockwise? Turn the tuning machine clockwise!

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

TURBO

Have 2 of them.

6. Vanzant!

Vanzant! Member

Good to hear, can't wait to try it out!

7. oxtone

oxtone Member

Way to go! You won't look back. The Turbo Tuner is simply the best pedal tuner available. The TU-3 I found hard to read, with the new LED system. The Turbo Tuner takes some getting used to, but, once you do, it's easy, and very fast and accurate. Read the manual, too, to learn how to use it.

8. etc

etc Member

you're gonna love the way you sound.

9. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I really recommend the hardwire tuner. It's polyphonic, more solid than the tc, and works great. Even has a relative tuning mode where you can tune down approximately a half step and it will figure out that you want to tune down a half step and adjust.

10. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

how is the pitchblack poly? compared to the original... I hear the footswitch breaks for some people after a while on the original..hopefully they fixed that for the poly.

11. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

You'll like that tuner Vanzant!
    I have all 3 mentioned in the OP. They're all good and each has their own strong points.
    The Turbo is small, fast and accurate. The Poly has the one strum feature and a 9V in and out which can power another pedal. The Boss also has a power in and out. I've never been frustrated by any of them being too slow or inaccurate.

12. Don't tase me bro

Don't tase me bro Member

I just got a stroboplus hd. It is not small, but it is great

13. adkinssj

adkinssj Member

Strobe tuners are pretty easy to use. I have a Poly and it works pretty well. Probably going to upgrade in the next few months once I get a few more pressing issues out of the way. In the meantime, the poly is holding in there quite well for me.
    That being said, the turbo is supposed to be more accurate and quicker to respond to the note that you hit. Never noticed it to be a problem before with the poly, but I'd love to hear from someone who has used both.

14. chrisross

chrisross Member

You made the absolute right choice with the Turbo, I love mine!

15. ArchtopAnimal

ArchtopAnimal Member

The freight was one price on the Turbo ST 200 , so I got a 122a as well , just for the heck of it ..................

. [​IMG]

16. alexiskinson

alexiskinson Member

I owned and used them all, the remaining tuners for me is Turbo and TU-3. Here is some ranking for you to refer.

In terms of accuracy,
    1) Turbo Tuner (50x more accurate than TU-3)
    2) PolyTune 2 (10x more accurate than TU-3)
    3) PolyTune Mini (2x more accurate than TU-3)
    4) Boss TU-3

In terms of tracking speed
    1) Turbo Tuner
    2) PolyTune / TU-3

In terms of brightness of screen
    1) PolyTune 2 / PolyTune Mini
    2) TU-3
    3) Turbo Tuner

I mainly use my Turbo Tuner to gig to setup guitar to do everything. The TU-3 is just a handy tuner to carry around, with easy battery replacement.

I use Strobe tuning all the time. And for this type of tuning, the only tuner does it right is the Turbo Tuner. And I find the Strobe Tuning very natural to use, rather than freaking out....

Depends on what criteria you valued the most important, I guest you can make up your mind easily.

17. bpdeem

bpdeem Member

My vote goes to the polytune. Been on my board sonce they came out. It's VERY handy in live situations between songs or if there is a break in your part (and you can multitask) you can check VERY quickly mid song. Never had reliability issues. TC makes some real nice stuff.

I can't vouch for the mini but I'd imagine its spot on as well. It's be nice to have that little bit of extra space though.

18. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

I recently had the same choice to make and went with the boss TU3. Big noiseless switch, non-muted output option, easy to read screen and boss reliability.

For studio level accuracy the turbo tuner would be better, but for gigging/jamming I preferred to go with the TU3.

19. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Are there any Turbo Tuner (stompbox, not ST-122A) users here that are gigging multi-instrumentalists, as opposed to being exclusively guitar players?

20. Bluesman1026

Bluesman1026 Member

I like my Peterson stomp strobe. I play a lot of outdoor gigs and the display shows up great in the sun.