New tuners for a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kurzman, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

I have a 2008 Les Paul Standard and I'm not super happy with the tuners. Is there a nice set of tuners that drop right in without and reaming/drilling?

I suppose that I might want to re-install the originals one day if I ever sell it.

Something easy to use, like locking tuners or the Fender type with the slot would be cool.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. josuwa

josuwa Member

I think the Grovers should fit? The kidney ones... If the guitar detunes you might want to check the nut first, though.

3. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Member

What's wrong with the factory ones?

4. Kurzman

I have to re-tune the guitar after almost every tune at practice. I bought the guitar from my tech and it's set up.
    He suggested applying lubricant to the nut slots once a month but it just kind of ticked me off that I have to grease up a $2500 guitar to get it to work right.
    Grover kidneys?

5. g-mane

g-mane Member

Does it tick you off that you have to oil the door hinges in your hundred thousand dollar house to keep them from squeaking? If your tech cuts the nut slot right and you know how to wrap the strings, you don't really even need the lube but it doesn't hurt. Find a new tech.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

99% of tuning problems are binding at the nut. The other 1% is not stringing the guitar properly. Tuners are almost never, ever, ever the tuning problem. A well cut nut won't bind, but a little lubrication won't hurt either. Sorry, I would absolutely expect to have some nut work done on a $2500 Les Paul. They just don't do a good job at the factory.

7. JB6464

JB6464 Member

It's more likely binding in the nut.
    A nut file and about 5 minutes of time will clear that up and ad some lube and your ready to go.

8. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

99.99% of the time its the nut. Fine grit sandpaper in the slot's should solve it, at worst recut/replace the nut. In over 30 years of playing I have never seen Gibson tuners slip. Your tech doesn't sound like he's that "techy" if he's recommending a lube for the symptom but not solving the problem. Good luck.

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

Like others have said, you have a nut problem. It is the angle that the G string hits the nut on that guitar that causes problems.

10. claudel

claudel Member

I've been trying to source a set of 3x3 tuning machines with the hollow slot post with no success.

I really like being able to bury that sharp string end in the tuner where it won't find my flesh.

Following this simple procedure has helped my tuning problems.

Having the proper physical setup with no binding of the string anywhere is also essential, as mentioned.

11. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

There is something wrong with this statement.

12. Kurzman

Thanks for the advice.
    My tech is the best in town and I would guess he's set up 10,000 guitars. He set the guitar up before I bought it and re-did it when I took it back to him AFTER I bought it.
    Back to the vaseline I guess.
    I'll ask my tech about re-checking the nut for third time.

13. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Gibson QA. That's what wrong. Well known fact. Don't blame the messenger.

14. Kurzman

I just don't have much experience with Gibsons. I have a C. P. Thornton and a Campbell American (both with trems) and they stay in tune. I have partscaster Strats and Teles that I built and they stay in tune.
    The general consensus is that the Gibson tuners are okay so I'll just deal with it.
    Thanks for the advice.

15. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Agree with much of what's been posted already. You're problem is mostly likely the nut. Gibson hasn't been doing a very job with them recently. Have it re-cut/filed by a good tech. Re-string, lube if desired, and give 'em a good stretch. Don't forget that last part!

16. TCauble

TCauble Member

I just took my R7 in to get set up and was told the same thing. The problem with the nut is pretty common

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If it's going out of tune every song, it could be the nut, but my money would be on unstretched or improperly strung strings. Stretch them every time you tune and you should be good to go. The one thing it's not likely to be is the tuners.

18. Kurzman

I guess it's the nut. My tech strung it so that's good.
    I don't think I'll be buying any more Gibsons.

19. SFW

SFW Member

I tend to replace all my Gibson tuners with Grovers.

20. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Is it one of the "new" 08 Standards that comes with factory locking Grovers? If so, it's not the tuners.