New Tung Sol 5881?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Pedro58, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Has anyone tried these, yet? I don't expect them to be exactly like the originals... But new production 5881's are hard to come by. If you want anything decent, you gotta go NOS. So, this new tube looks interesting. From bombers to Bassmans!

2. KLB

KLB Member

I recently A/B'd some NOS Tungsol 5881 and new production TAD 6L6-WGC in a Tone King Meteor II (cathode bias) and Germino Club 40 (fixed bias). In my opinion, the TAD 6L6-WGC sounded better -- much better, actually. There is no need to hunt down an expensive NOS 5881.

This tube is also available from Groove Tube as the 6L6C-Q.
    Lord Valve carries the Shuguang (OEM) version.

Check it out.

3. Pedro58

Is the TAD the lower power tube like a 5881?

Also, by "better," what do you mean? Can you be more specific? Thanks!

4. Pedro58

Still wondering...
    The TADS sound like they're worth trying.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

6. jetlag

jetlag Member

The TAD 6l6WGC (short bottle) tubes are not low power tubes. I emailed TAD and got the response back that they are 30 W tubes, hence the 6L6GC moniker (with the W in there as well). TAD did go on to say that if you were putting tubes in a "7581A" application, that you should use their large bottle 6L6GC's instead.

So I think that's the benefit of using TAD 6L6WGC's - if you are looking for a softer, 5881 type sound sound and want to run tubes out in 6L6GC applications, they are a good choice. If you will run tubes at lower levels (23 W) , the Philips 6L6WGB are still about the same price (and my choice). Nice to have options though.

Incidentally, I've a-b slyvania 5881's to tung sols in my '57 Pro in gig environments. I see what the fuss is about with the tung sols and do like them (like their tone). But I find the slyvania's more useful due to their full range. They still have great tone, but more highs, lows and volume. I say that because they are about the same tube as a Philips 6L6WGB.