New TV Jones Dynasonics Are Real!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Crazyquilt, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

After years of rumors, and more recently, promises, it looks like the TV Jones Dynasonic/DeArmond replacements are going to be announced at winter NAMM. And, yes, they are on the website.

[​IMG]

Check out the P-90 mount...

I have made a solemn oath not to buy guitars or amps in 2010. But I have nothing with Dynasonics. Well...2009's not over yet!

2. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I'm not familiar with this pickup type. Any examples of artists who use this type? How do they compare to strat pickups?

3. Tritone

Tritone Member

That's pretty cool!

4. ultradust

ultradust Member

The DeArmond 2000 vs. Dynasonic debate aside, you can basically expect a snarling hot single coil tone not far removed from P90s in general, but I've noticed they can have a brighter edge rather than purely honking midrange(which ain't so bad either, eh?) on the ones I've played, pretty much in both neck and bridge positions.

So hard to come by a quality replacement of the such, I'm really glad Tom is putting these into production.

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Nice. These might be very cool in a Tele-Sonic styled Creston Tele. Got me thinking again!

6. Sizeofanocean

Sizeofanocean Member

VERY interesting! I'm looking for replacements for the fairly high output p-90s in my Squier Tele, and I want a fat, but very clear and defined sound, mostly for clean playing. Would these fit the bill?

By the way, are these the pickups that are in the singers' guitar in this vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0pE9bql_8E

I love the sound he gets (favourite band), though of course the construction of the Gretsch is different than my Tele...

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I was supposed to trade a guy for a set of Dynasonic pickups for my Gretsch. He flaked - disappeared.
    As such, this is wonderful news!

pEaCE,

jb

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

they're great pickups but I wouldn't say snarling hot --- they're actually a somewhat low output compared to, say, Filtertrons ... if you go from a F'tron Gretsch to a Dynasonic Gretsch you can hear the volume drop w/ the Dynasonics (not a bad thing, just a characteristic)... a great flavor to have, though.

9. whatmeworry

whatmeworry Member

hmmmmmm..........
    Interesting new flavor for my Reverend USA Slingshot

10. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

For the clean end of the spectrum, the twangy trebly sound of early Duane Eddy is Dynasonics (not sure what amps, but clean ones), and for the dirty end of the tone universe, pretty much all Billy Zoom's guitar work with X is a Gretch Jet with Dynasonics through dirty Marshalls.

I've owned a Gretsch Jet with Dynasonics. Compared to Filtertrons, Dynasonics have way less midrange, and more treble, are very bright and twangy. Dynasonics do not have the tonal range of P-90s (which sound like a tele when turned down, and like a bright roaring humbucker when turned up), the tone of the Dynasonic stays in the thin/twangy/bright camp. I'm guessing that the TV Jones ones sound better than the classic DeArmond ones. He really knows what he's doing.

11. Curly

Curly Member

slightly OT, but TV's clips of his TV-HT's sound awesome

12. BillyZoom

BillyZoom Member

1. I have never used a Marshall amp except for a rented one in England...once. I've always used Billy Zoom amps.
    2. DeArmonds or DynaSonics sound pretty much the same as P90's.
    The only real difference is that if you play loud enough to make them feedback, the DeArmonds squeal an octave higher than the P90's.
    BZ

e??? and enharmonic like this.
  13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I thought Billy's been using his own amp with X, at least I recall reading an interview saying that's all he has used live for some time [maybe the X records are the Marshalls?]... in any case, super Dynasonic tone ... I'm with you on the tone description (they don't sound like P-90s to me) & the assumption that TV's will be very very good.

The DVD "X Live in Los Angeles" has great examples of his later Dynasonic tone.

cheers,
    Jon [still enjoying your former Gretsch Easton :cool:]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  14. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Duane Eddy used Magnatones. You want to know what Dynas sound like in a dirt setting? Listen to Setzer's "Rockabilly Riot Volume I." Also ths song "Drive like Thunder Crash Like Lightning (or is the other way around, LOL?) Most of that album was recorded with a Grestch Jet with Dynas. I hate to disagree with the legendary Billy Zoom...but I don't think they sound identical to P-90s...similar. I had a '53 Jet and it had that old rock tone in spades. Really a great soundin guitar. They are really cool pickups, IMHO.

Mike

15. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

When I saw X in early '80's Billy Zoom was playing that silverflake Gretsch through two Super Reverbs. Really crunchy tone, I'm sure those amps were modded.

16. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

The only Dynas I have experience with are the modern Gretsch redactions -- the Dynasonics in the Pro line, and the DeArmond 2k's in the Electrosonics. I found them similar to P-90's, but not by any means identical. I could never get them to sound really good overdriven (I had a Duo Jet.) They reminded me more of Tele or lap steel pickups that can have a high output, but still remain remarkably clean. In the end, I decided to sell the guitar, and wait until either Seymour Duncan's Dynosonic prices dropped or TV came out with his own spin to get another Dyna guitar.

That being said, I'm sorely tempted to try a set in my Hamer Korina Special, because it's such a bright & resonant guitar that I think Dynas would be a scream ... literally.

17. dennyman

dennyman Member

I was thinking the same thing!

18. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

YEAH ! I`ve been stalking these rumours ... Any HB mount model ?

19. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I had Dynasonics in a '58 Gretsch and loved it. To me, it was like a cross between a Tele and a P90. If I win the lottery, I'll get a Koll Duo Glide with these pups in it.

20. markw1980

markw1980 Supporting Member

Poop. Something else to spend money on! I have been thinking about a Tele-sonic type thing lately. Actually, I have been thinking about a Tele with Filtertrons, P90s, and PAFs. I love Teles.