New Tyler in the house!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by GAT, Jan 21, 2006.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Just got my new Tyler SE HD-P in Malibu Beach Shmear. It has 2 VV and one JB Trembucker. Very cool tone and it plays great. It is a fat sounding guitar with lots of girth in the bridge position. I usually find bridge pickups thin but this is not. I got some killer later Jeff Beck type tones out of it through a Bruno Super 100 and a Zendrive, killer!!!! Here is the link from Martin Guitars, great place to do biz with.

http://www.martinmusicguitar.com/products/electricguitars/products.php?pcid=31&pid=423

The cool thing is, it fills in nicely with my other strat-type guitars, 3 Grosh Retro Classics. The RC's have a more vintage feel and sound so the Tyler will be used for more of the fusion stuff. The Groshs and the Tyler are excellent guitars.

2. matte

matte Senior Member

Congrats! Having chased the perfect Ash body Maple neck Strat( I've had 2 JE "54 MBs, 2 Suhrs, a WW 10", a GVCG "55 to name a few) for years (since selling my "54, "55 and "57 Ash body 2 tones), I've finally landed with my Tyler. Exceptional blend of Vintage vibe(incredible feeling huge V neck/ 1 piece super resonant Ash body, single ply 8 screw guard), tones with incredible modern tweaks (Mid boost, bridge Hum, back routed Wilkie 2 point trem, flatter radius, 6105s, staggered locking Gotoh Klusons/no string tree!).

3. JPenn

JPenn Member

Congrats GAT!! My Tyler (Hollow SE HD-P) has pretty much solved my G-tar gas for now. For how long I don't know!!:rolleyes: I have the Malibu Shmear, but mine's the A.D.D. version:)

[​IMG]

I have no experience with old Strats, so I don't really know how the Tyler compares. I wanted a Strat I was comfortable with for 10 years, but could never find one. I got hot on the look of Tyler's about a year before I actually got to try one, once I played one I knew I had to have it!

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Congrats! Whooo I bet that thing is fun to play through a Bruno!

Mind telling us what it cost ya? More comparisons/contrasts with your Grosh guitars would be helpful, as well...

5. GAT

Well, I just spent about 2 hours playing it and the Grosh guitars. They are just different, and one isn't better than the others. The Tyler does not go for the pure, vintage strat, even in the non-bridge positions. It doesn't quite have that sparkle or mid spank. It is fatter in the low mids and the high end is not as spikey. I played it through an SC-30, an RSA23, a Connie and a Jamison and it sounded great through all. I really is one guitar that could pull off a whole gig. I usually bring a Baker and a Grosh, but the Tyler can cover most of what those do. I still LOVE the Grosh strats, that hasn't diminished one bit, they are superb strats, but the Tyler is a superb "super" strat. I don't go for the heavy metal, shred tones, which it can do. But the real fat, singing lead tones are all in there. Sounds great with my pedals too, currently a Mosfet FDIi, a Zendrive and a Pink Purple Fuzz. It sounds best through the Bruno, which most guitars do.

If I was doing Texas blues ala SRV, Arc Angels, Bramhall II, I would use the Grosh and for the pumped up blues/fusion stuff my band does the Tyler will work well. Its good to have choices!

6. JPenn

JPenn Member

AJ give Eric Martin a call. He's a great guy to deal with and just a nice guy to talk to

7. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

That guitar sure was tempting!

8. matte

matte Senior Member

Diff specs, diff sounds. My Tyler has all the spank, quack and throatiness of any of my Old Ash body Maple neck Strats with all the twaeks of a modern guitfiddle.

9. GAT

Matte,

You're right, I'm sure some Tylers do the vintage thing very well. I may contact you as to your particular specs, but Grosh guitars are amazing to me for the vintage vibe. I think they are very underated and their resale is not indicative of the quality that they have. That being said, the
    Tyler I got is just an agressive, dynamic guitar that fits the other part of my style, the Jeff Beck meets Jimmy Herring type of vibe. I''ve heard your clips Matte, and I definately love your vibe and tone, so I can see where a
    Tyler fits you. I already LOVE this guitar, and it plays in tune, no matter how crazy I get with the whammy bar. Your opinion was one of the major reason I got this guitar. Thanks.... If you ever get to Reno, we can have a crazy band!:BEER

10. matte

matte Senior Member

Hi GAT,
    First of all, thanks for taking the time to listen to my clips/visit my site. Alos thank you for your kind words. They are much appreciated. Feel free to contact me at any time if I can be of any service.

I was at Splatt's tonight with my Tyler. He's played all of my Strats. This one really resonated with him. We both thought that a particular English gentleman you referenced in your post (with whom our esteemed Mister Splatt won a Grammy) would be all about my new Tyler. The thing that transcends all reason to me is how little tension the strings seem to exhibit (10-46 tuned to pitch on a 25.5" scale length feel like 9-42 to me).

Don built me a couple of guitars in the mid to late "90s and he really has great skill as a luthier. He built my favourite guitars that I played @ the "99 Winter NAMM.

11. GAT

Tradarama,

Thanks for getting me into the Bruno Super 100 thing, my newest one is SO killer, especially with this Tyler, oh my Gawd!!!! These guitars are so fat and solid sounding, just kills with a great amp. It truly makes me want to sell about 3 amps and 2 more guitars. I know you have moved on from the Super 100s, but this new Bruno just kills, even though I'm NOT trying to cop a Dumble vibe. I'm runnig it through a Divided By 13 4x12 cab with a mix of Heritage G12Hs and G12Ms, super fat, yet very articulate. I love the RSA 23 but the Bruno is truly a cut above, especially with the Tyler. If you listen to Jeff Beck's second to last CD, the slow blues type song, this combination nails it, which is quite a pleasant supriise.

Thanks to Matte and others for turning me on to this great guitar. And, again, kudos to Eric Martin for such a great transaction.

12. GAT

Matte,

The tension is great, I use 10-46 gauge strings on my strat and 11-52 gauge strings on my Bakers, but the Tyler just has that FEEL, I started playing the more rambunctious type of leads that I used to play, it just makes me want to RIP!!! I'm tired of trying to contain my self, I just want to play and not worry about the commercial aspect of what I'm doing. The Tyler has brought out a lot of repressed energy that I have, sounds weird but true!!

13. AD

AD Supporting Member

"The thing that transcends all reason to me is how little tension the strings seem to exhibit"

Same here. It is also the first reaction from friends that play regular Strats and then try my Burning Water. My BW is about 6 years old and some major vibe in that thing. I liked my Grosh tonewise but it had a very stiff feel.

GAT, I've only played a Tyler with a mid boost once and there was a big difference in the quack factor compared to mine.

14. JPenn

JPenn Member

GAT one thing that might up the "vintage Strat" factor is the singles. The JTV singles are pretty slammin'!! I'm not necessarily going for an old Strat thing, even though I'm a blues-based player.

15. matte

matte Senior Member

I was looking for a "55 Stat platform with the necessary adjustments that would enable my Tyler to function in any number of musical scenarios. Mission accomplished.

16. GAT

Eric told me the body wood is Mamywo, what kind of wood is it?

17. JPenn

JPenn Member

Juletong = Malaysion Mystery Wood

[​IMG]

It's being used to make crankbaits for fishing because it's supposed to be as light as Balsa, but stronger.

18. GAT

Really...I've never heard of it, until I started looking at Tylers.

19. -kk-

-kk- Member

speaking to some local (Malaysian) wood traders, apparently mamywood are used in alot of the korean/indonesian made lower cost guitars. I heard a lutheir once describe it as having similar tonal properties as mahogany, but lighter.

FWIW, Im only passing info, i have no 1st hand experience other than speaking to these people.

20. JPenn

JPenn Member

That's exactly the way I feel about my Tyler DT. I wanted to play a Strat for a long time, but I just never could jive with one. I was very happy to find out I could actually feel comfortable with a Tyler after admiring them on the internet for a year or better.

The only thing that suprised me about Matte's guitar is how "vintage" it appears. I really expected Matte to go SE/Shmear. I guess that makes it more radical doesn't it? :AOK