New UAD Amp Pedals

LaXu

Official product pages: https://www.uaudio.com/guitar-pedals.html
UAFX control app details: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058187832-UAFX-Control-Mobile-App-Manual

In 2022 UA repeats every single issue they were criticized for regarding their effects pedals from 2021. Also they release the first firmware update since those pedals were released, just because they needed to add support for the new pedals.

These pedals still do not offer the following:
  • More than 1 preset. It seems you can now save and swap presets with the mobile app but that's miserable for regular use.
  • MIDI control in any way.
  • Expression control in any way.
  • You have to choose between boost and preset footswitch options it seems. Another thing that could be solved by you know...MIDI control...
  • Ability to swap the stock cab sims. So you better like them. You can disable them by holding the speaker switch so that's a good thing though.
They still require you to register a UA account just to use their app to configure secondary settings. There is no technical requirement for this, they just want to collect data from you.

I want to like these things as I am sure they sound good, but the above is a dealbreaker for me. I think these would all be things they could fix but just don't want to and UA has not proven to offer the kind of software support we experience with e.g Line6 or Fractal products.

Last edited:

Platevolt

In 2022 UA repeats every single issue they were criticized for regarding their effects pedals from 2021. Also they release the first firmware update since those pedals were released, just because they needed to add support for the new pedals.

• More than 1 preset. It seems you can now save and swap presets with the mobile app but that's miserable for regular use.
  • Ability to swap the stock cab sims. So you better like them. You can disable them by holding the speaker switch so that's a good thing though.
They still require you to register a UA account just to use their app to configure secondary settings. There is no technical requirement for this, they just want to collect data from you.
Also sprach der Kaiser. Vielen Dank.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member

Yea but they do cabs pretty damn good if the OX is any indication. So, for people who despise IR hunting maybe that's not a bad thing?

LaXu

Yea but they do cabs pretty damn good if the OX is any indication. So, for people who despise IR hunting maybe that's not a bad thing?
That's fair. But other pedals give you the option to use stock cab sims OR your own IRs so it does not necessarily have to be a "one or the other" option. There are no settings to adjust the cab sims beyond selection it seems.

LaXu

Not sure I love the idea of spending $400 on a cab sim that only does one particular style of amp.
I don't take too much offense at that actually. Some people have a very specific "I like this type of amps" so having tons of different models seems like a waste but having variations on their favorite amp works.

Like if you love Fender style amps what do you need a Vox or Marshall model for?

That said, since these are basically the same pedal with a different front panel plate, UA could let people buy the other models for a discounted price and then swap between them via the app. Similar to how some Source Audio pedals can be changed to be different pedals in the same lineup.

AnthonyF

That's fair. But other pedals give you the option to use stock cab sims OR your own IRs so it does not necessarily have to be a "one or the other" option. There are no settings to adjust the cab sims beyond selection it seems.
I thought the UA did not use Impulse Response technology for cabinet simulation and that it is in fact some form of proprietary Modeling?

Providing there own cab simulation(s) AND the ability to import user IR's seems an unlikely prospect or do they sell individual cab sims for the Ox and their amp sim plug ins?.

Edoardo_P

How many standalone stereo IR loaders can you buy right now?

How many JBL twin IRs?
How many EV12 IRs?

Building a rig around THAT ONE IR is way less convenient and safe than trusting Universal Audio tried their best...

I R P

Silver Supporting Member
UAFX control app details: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058187832-UAFX-Control-Mobile-App-Manual

• You have to choose between boost and preset footswitch options it seems. Another thing that could be solved by you know...MIDI control...

I want to like these things as I am sure they sound good, but the above is a dealbreaker for me. I think these would all be things they could fix but just don't want to and UA has not proven to offer the kind of software support we experience with e.g Line6 or Fractal products.

Do you criticize your aunt for not being your uncle?

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure I love the idea of spending $400 on a cab sim that only does one particular style of amp.

True, strictly speaking. But six different cabs (three out of the box + three when registering the pedal), microphone and room tones derived from the OX Amp Top Box, reverb, tremolo and overdrive. I actually like this product a lot better than the Strymon Iridium and the Walrus ACS-1 personally. The only additional feature I would have liked is a headphone out.

hbb

I think you can disable the cab sim and use external devices also

You can disable cab sims…

I don’t “get” when people complain about lack of software mods on gear… I mean, if there’s a problem then absolutely we need a fix… For instance, Fender was responsive with the ToneMaster line and released a SW update. The thing I hate more than anything else working in the modern studio is having to f%cking update plugins, DAW etc, versus my racks of outboard, amplifiers, mics and gtrs that I never have to worry about that sh%t!

These aren’t cheap… but Jesus… they sound great. I have a tweed hole and more importantly an AC30 hole in my amp wall… I think I’ll pull the trigger… seems like a no brainer for the studio setting if they sound as good as what I’ve been hearing.

DG_Griffin

I kinda dig the simplicity. Not having to go down the IR rabbit hole would be refreshing. Though maybe I just need to find an IR I like and stick with it.

I thought the same thing initially. It’s funny though that people will spend way more than that on an amp that does only one sound. So what’s really the difference.

My only real gripe would be no headphone out. But otherwise I’m very intrigued, particularly by the Woodrow.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom