New UAD Amp Pedals

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
HX Stomp XL $649
UAD Pedal ~$400
Amplifire Box II $400

Laxu nailed it above :)

I.m.h.o .... this is Classic "features-missing-features-restricted-UA" product. Again, i.m.h.o why on earth anyone would buy one of these when you can get the extremally well featured Stomp XL for $250 .... its another UA "dud" .... they never learn and what's worse is I don't think they even care anymore.

Hell, the Amplifire II is amazing and its only $400.

You would need "your head read" to buy any of these pedals in place of either of the above alternatives.

Whew ...... :)

Ben

TimH

They still require you to register a UA account just to use their app to configure secondary settings. There is no technical requirement for this, they just want to collect data from you.
Not entirely accurate. You get 3 more cabs if you register the pedal and download the App.

LaXu

I thought the UA did not use Impulse Response technology for cabinet simulation and that it is in fact some form of proprietary Modeling?

Providing there own cab simulation(s) AND the ability to import user IR's seems an unlikely prospect or do they sell individual cab sims for the Ox and their amp sim plug ins?.
If someone can prove to me that they don't I'm happy to read a source. To me they are just IRs and some of their proprietary processing on top of that. Marketing blurbs about "dynamic speaker sims" and whatnot don't convince me.

LaXu

What company does that? Pretty well every company asks you to make an account and download their proprietary software to update - Line 6, Fractal etc all do it.
Fractal at least does not. You never have to login to Axe-Edit or make an account to download software or firmware. Neither does Strymon for a similar product as the UAD.

You are right though, Line6 does this as well at least to download the software. Correct me if I am wrong but do you have to log in to HX Edit? It's been a while since I owned the Helix and used HX Edit so rarely I can't remember.

In any case the issue with the account login in the mobile app is that if UA has issues with login servers or folds in the future (closes servers) you would be left unable to use the secondary features of the pedals because there is no alternative method to toggle them. If the apps were usable 100% offline then they would work in perpetuity at least via virtual machines if they become incompatible with future operating systems.

TimH

Fractal at least does not. You never have to login to Axe-Edit or make an account to download software or firmware. Neither does Strymon for a similar product as the UAD.

You are right though, Line6 does this as well at least to download the software. Correct me if I am wrong but do you have to log in to HX Edit? It's been a while since I owned the Helix and used HX Edit so rarely I can't remember.

In any case the issue with the account login in the mobile app is that if UA has issues with login servers or folds in the future (closes servers) you would be left unable to use the secondary features of the pedals because there is no alternative method to toggle them. If the apps were usable 100% offline then they would work in perpetuity at least via virtual machines if they become incompatible with future operating systems.
Dude...when's the last time your cell phone couldn't access the internet? Sorry man, but it feels like you're really stretching here...

LaXu

Dude...when's the last time your cell phone couldn't access the internet? Sorry man, but it feels like you're really stretching here...
It's not about my phone accessing internet. Imagine this scenario:

You arrive at a venue and remember that you should have swapped the pedal to your live preset setting but forgot to do so. You pull up your phone and connect to the pedal. Turns out right at this moment, UA's login server is down. It won't let you through to the pedal settings because it can't log in.

In a sensible system the app would just let the user skip the login and go to the pedal settings because these don't have any technical requirement to tie them together like e.g licensing systems might have. But at least when I tried the UA app login was required. That makes it reliant on both internet connectivity and login servers. Just to adjust some pedal settings.

I would not care too much if there was an alternative like "hold this button during powerup" like most pedals have. But there isn't. It's app or nothing.

While the login servers being down is not a likely scenario, it is a possible one and might also become a real issue 10 years from now if those servers get taken down for any reason. You might say that in 10 years you are using something way better, but people are using e.g 10 year old Strymons on their boards without issue.

Last edited:

PLysander

Only if you want to download updates from HX Edit, IIRC.

Other than that, i mostly agree with your points. It's sad that UA makes (good) features reliant on a internet connection.

Pick53766

I have two of the original modulation UAFX pedals. They have all the described shortcomings and however frustrating they are, I am using them because they just sound insanely good. (I passed on the delay as I will not use a delay that does not sync to my DAW, no way.)

I believe these will be the same. Incredibly good sounding with a plethora of annoyances. Probably a pass for me as I have a Kemper and this is kind of a similar product in what it does, but they are cute and I can imagine having one or two.

mike_m

You only have to login to HX edit for software updates and the Line 6 marketplace. It remains fully functional for device/preset management and preset editing while offline.

Soeplepel

Too bad it isn't just 1 pedal with all three amps, cause I do love the sounds ( love the Tweed 55, I use that one a lot with my UAD interface), but don't want to put three pedals on my board.... and no headphone out.... what?

I sincerely hope they'll make the Dream and Ruby available as unison amps for the Apollo interfaces!

PLysander

Why nobody mentions NUX Amp Academy as a contender? Half price, all flexibility, etc

I keep reminding people that a) AmpliFirebox MKII is still a thing, b) does a shitton for $400, and c) it is genuinely great :)

Having said that, every single demo for these UA pedals i've checked so far were super impressive. I wish they were all combined in a single box though.

JScaster

For that price you can get an used hx stomp. For a bit less, an used iridium.

The pedals sound good (but there’s tons of stuff out there that will also get you those sounds), but it’s too much money for a unit with few features.

Still I believe these things will sell, after all the brand alone sells itself.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom