New Updated Opinions On The Xotic Mini Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

What are everyone's current, updated opinions on Xotic's mini compressor? I'm interested in small footprint and cheap price point but want it to kinda polish up my guitar tone a bit by adding a smooth sheen and adding some brightness or thinning out the tone a bit.
    Any tone sculpting abilities in this pedal? Or what inherent voicing does it have?

2. hendrixstrat

hendrixstrat Member

I'm not a comp expert, but owned a few..Bought a 2 knob keeley when they were the all the rage..Tried to like it, but all it did was squash my tone..Bought a Boss CS 3 and actually liked it better than the Keeley..It got old quick due to the fact that it really sucked something out of my tone..Next up was the JHS Pulp n Peel..If this was in a case as small as the Xotic SP, it would still be on my board..Does what it needs to, very transparent if you want it to be, and best of all you don't even know it's on..

I bought the Xotic due to space restraints..I was not a fan the first day that I plugged in..The PnP is so non in your face that you forget it's a compressor..The SP took getting used to..After coming back to it with a fresh set of ears, I don't mind it at all..I'm not a super compressed country picker. I use a comp pretty much as a limiter..The SP works well for that with some knob tweaking..If you want a comp that will give you a subtle string balance, and slight level of sustain like me, then you can't beat it for the size, and price.

3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I think the Barber Tone Press and Wampler Ego sound better.

The Xotic seemed to roll off highs and lows more. Still, it's a decent compressor, especially for the size and cost.

-bEn r.

4. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

It's been on and off of my board for 18 months. I still dig it. Mostly, I use it for a little boost and sparkle for my clean tones. It's not as in-your-face as the Keeley or a Dyna Comp. I love the form factor and subtle sound.

5. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I still need to try it in bright mode, but as it comes stock I find it dark. Cool for fattening up leads, but not good for jangle or as an always-on, for my taste.

As a lead boost with mild compression and half clean blend, it's fantastic though...

6. Bee Thomas

Bee Thomas Member

I just bought the SP again for the third time.
    I tried the Ego, the DynaComp, the Custom Comp, the Yellow Comp, the Diamond, and the Milk Box.
    The SP does what I need from a compressor. I use it as a boost with a little sustain to juice leads from in front, and I use it to bring out soft clean passages, like "Wicked Game"
    If I needed country twang I'd use the DynaComp. If I was a studio player, I'd keep the Ego. If I was into ambient, I'd probably use the Diamond.
    As it is, I play classic rock and rock-based country and the SP is ideal for me.

YMMV...

7. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Just picked one of these up. Thought it sounded great. Especially for its size and price.

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

I more or less stopped looking at comps once I got it, and I haven't started back up. It ended my quest for something small, low-noise, that sounds good and has a blend. The price is right too. Pretty tough to beat IMO.

I still think about an orange squeezer from time to time - for the particular sound of that comp, not to replace the SP, which is unlikely to go anywhere.

9. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I just took mine off my board. I tried it at different places in my path and with various settings, but it never seemed essential, and many times it was counterproductive to what I'm trying to do with my tone.

I think the EGO Compressor is the best of the ones I've tried, but in the end it wasn't doing anything useful for me.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

I've tried a few over the years (MXR, Boss, etc.) and the XP Compressor is the only one I've liked. It can be very subtle or it can squash your attack like a concrete block.

11. earwax

earwax Member

How is it different than the Diamond when you are using it for subtle conpression?

12. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

^ I cant say

But when I just tried this out on a store it sounded so good. The blend knob makes it easier to have subtle compression.