New Upgraded Fender Highway 1

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Randy Van Sykes, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Anyone try it?

It now has alnico 3 pickups, 70's neck, jumbo frets...
    I played one recently at a music store...under $700 for a great playing/sounding US strat...I ordered the honey blonde version with a maple neck on the spot.
    I thought it held it's own next to strats that cost three times more (Eric Johnson, Malmsteen, custom shop models...)

2. MGT

MGT Member

I just bought one two weeks ago - also in honey blonde but with rosewood. I love it! After being a humbucker guy for a long time, I bought a Nashville Tele about 6 weeks ago & followed up with the strat. I'm really enjoying them both!

I especially like the non-laquered finish. Won't take too long to get banged around, I'm sure but I don't mind at all.

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i stated this in another thread as well, but the new highway 1's will now sport a satin nitro finish....

4. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

That's what I love about Fender, they have something for everyone in all price ranges and they do it well too.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a lack of major pissing contests amongst strat owners on internet boards? I just don't see very much **** slinging going on (john mayer posts aside:))

5. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I am really into the updates that have gone into the new Highway 1s. I would really like to try one for my next tele.

6. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I don't like the new "upgarded" narrow MIM Std. string spacing of the bridge on the new HW1s. The old HW1 would take a AVRI or any other high end bridge upgrade you could throw at it if you wanted. Now your drop in bridge options have been greatly limited.

7. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

The bridge screws have the same exact spacing, the saddle spacing is just narrower. (yes I just measured)

We got the new models in last week and I really like them. The frets are bigger than anything Ive ever seen on a Fender. They seem to take to high gain amps a little better than the old pickups. I really dig them and will be ordering the blonde/maple version for myself as well.

8. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

:AOK[​IMG]

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Are the Hwy 1 Texas Tele's still the same?

Thanks

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

that looks great, but ive never see the highway 1's in blonde look all that blonde...if anything all i can say is "tan"

search around and you'll probably find a nice enough one....

11. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I'm a long time humbucker guy too that is really enjoying the different tones/feel you can get from single coils.

Why did I wait so long? :jo

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow! I'm surprised! Is that a gloss nitro finish? I'm buying! The daphne blue on the web site doesn't look too daphne blue though...

13. musicmind

musicmind Member

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

15. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

The finish looks and feels nearly identical to the acrylic satin laquer the H1's have always had. It does smell a bit different. The new colors don't match the old colors though, that I noticed right away as we have a few old H1's right next to the brand new upgrade model. The new red and blonde are alot nicer. The new blonde is more white than the old one.

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

yummy! That honey blonde sure is beautiful...

17. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

How would the AlNiCo 3 pups make this sound different, if it does?? Thanks.

18. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

It has smoother highs and is a little thicker.
    Sounds a little more 'humbucker-like' with alot of gain, yet still has alot of the spank for cleans that Strats are know for.
    The EJ strat uses alnico 3 pickups and it's my favorite sounding strat.

19. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

Pretty cool. I am glad to hear they will still take a quality bridge. That was the first thing I switched on mine (bought maybe 2 years ago). Second thing was the finish--refinned mine in daphne blue nitro--cool that they're using nitro now. Should polish easily. Finally, that headstock adjustable trussrod just just looked way wrong to me so I put a Warmoth neck on it.

Cost effective process? No. :p Fun, yes. And now I love the guitar. It honestly played and sounded really nice right off the shelf, too. Most of what I did to it was just for kicks.

20. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I ordered it a week ago (maple fretboard/honey blonde version)...it just came in...beautiful fret job..no rough edges anywhere...smooth as a babies bottom.

The finish on the neck is the next best thing to bare wood...no 'stickies' like the EJ finish.

Seems to stay in tune fine, but I'll be replacing the nut with a brass one. Pickups sound great, they're staying.
    The neck is completely straight (I think I got a really good one) I lowered the action quite a bit from it's factory setup, still no buzz.

I'm a very happy camper!