New/Used amp day...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pullagnm, Jul 25, 2008.

1. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

After an extensive search I finally acquired a Rivera Jake Studio, and well worth the time and effort to get. Let me tell you...

Thanks to squeally dan for the purchase and very well packed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

3. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

This amp is truly amazing. I've always read about the clean tones on Rivera's, but man this amp goes beyond what I had expected.

The clean channel is just so fat sounding without being muddy. Just hugh, and when you pull the notch on the middle tone control it lowers the lows and mids. It's perfect for using a strat without the notch pulled and a Les Paul with the notch pulled.

The overdrive channel is very nice. It has a very brass tone to it. Makes me think of Robben Fords lead tones. It's fat without being boomy or dull and very vibrant. One thing is the tone controls are so interactive. The middle control changes the lows and highs depending on where you have it set. Set to high and the high frequencies are shrill, set to low and the lows are dull and lifeless.

The reverb is so luscious. Like your in a big cathedral.

Then you have the modern/vintage switch on the back. It takes the tone from big open clean to a nice overdriven blues tone on the clean channel. The overdrive channel goes form a great rock tone to a sweet slightly compressed dumble type of tone.

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

Awesome packing job! Congrats on the amp. I'll bet it sounds terrific! :AOK

5. nomadh

nomadh Member

I'm not jealous until i know what you paid for it.:) Never even seen this model let alone played it. Looks great. Can you post a demo to youtube?

6. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

damnnnnnn..... thats a sweet looking amp... bet it sounds killer tooo..... congrats

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Awesome! Congrats!

8. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Thanks for the comments. Squeally Dan did a great job of packing. I have a friend that has a R 30 that I want to compare it to. Hopfully this weekend.

Does anybody know why the r30 is 30 watts even though it has 2 el34's just like the Jake? Maybe it runs in triode mode??

9. donkers

donkers Member

g12t85? how do those sound? never tried them.

10. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I've seen other pics of Jake's and they all had G12T75. I'm not sure why this one has a different model.

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I was actually running late shipping that amp, so I paid Mail Box Etc. to pack it. I have thought about using them in the past but they always gave me a quote that was too high. I wne in the back and watched them pack it. That lady was a packing machine. I really learned a lot from watching.

That amp looks and sounds great. I'm still trying to figure out why I sold it. It had become my #2 and its too good to be a number two. Hope your still lovon' it.