New used amp inbound (Vox Bruno)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crowder, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I grabbed one of these on ebay today. I think it will be a good backup to have and the price was extremely reasonable...less than the flash-sale closeout prices from last year.

I think I'll let our singer use it for the next little while. He's using a Hot Rod Deville with a simple knob attenuator in the effects loop to tame it a bit. We've been talking about his guitar taking on the "clean with balls" role and leaving the dirtier stuff to me. I think it will be easier to get to the sweet spot with this amp. We'll see.

2. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

That demo sounds like an amp I would enjoy playing.

3. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I picked one up in the blowout, after a tube change it quickly became my go to "grab and go" combo.

4. Crowder

Got the amp today, put some good tubes in it, and while I had it open I replaced the G12-65 with a Private Jack I had laying around (for more of a Greenback tone).

I plugged up my Epiphone Sheraton with no pedals.

Impressions:
    - This amp has killer breakup and edge of breakup tones. VERY touch sensitive. It's got more of a Vox flavor than I expected (which I like)
    - It's perhaps the quietest 18-watt amp I've ever played. I dimed the master and honestly can't imagine not having it dimed if I was playing with others. It's just not very loud. However, it's also quiet at idle, which is good. This might be handy as a recording amp.
    - There is far less clean headroom than I expected. I tried both High and Low inputs. The low input cleans up well but it seems to roll off too much high end to be truly useful. This doesn't bode well for trying a less hot 12AY7 or similar to tame the breakup. On the other hand, the amp responds as well as any I've had to rolling off the guitar signal.

So I actually bought this amp thinking that it would be a good, manageable "clean with balls" amp for our singer to use. I don't know that it'll work in that role, but I actually love it as a pedal-less grab-n-go alternative. Great tones for the money.

5. custom53

custom53 Member

Thanks for the great review.. I have always been curious about these amps.

6. Crowder

I am planning to give it a go with a single-coil guitar this evening. It might be the perfect amp for someone who uses a two-pickup/four-knob Gibson-style setup. I was able to get all kinds of tones from just working the knobs on my Sheraton.