New useless pedal concept

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 19, 2009.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Had a great "useless" pedal idea...

The Deadstring: Makes any guitar sound like the strings have been on it for a year of heavy use.

Not sure of pedal order, but it could be it works out best after the "Fret Buzz" pedal.

Has its uses though...when buying a used guitar, bring the pedals along, complain "man..this thing sounds like junk...but if you lop off 200 dollars I'll take it" along with "these very pedals make MY current guitar sound great!"

2. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

You'd be surprised how many times I've had to run back home to get my old squire strat with its 10 year old strings for sessions where that sound fits perfectly though....

3. drod2045

drod2045 Member

so how many times jaywalker? Im not surprised yet ;)

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

:)

Quite a few, this morning for example.

5. drod2045

drod2045 Member

this morning? K - im surprised ;)

6. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

I would only buy it if you could adjust the string age with a knob.

7. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

My useless pedal concept is a pedal that will only produce out of tune pentatonic blues bends.

The input will be stamped "Strat here" and the other side will say "Connect to Tubescreamer".

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would consider a very transparent overdrive, that adds "something" to the sound when used as a booster, gives you a little bit of grit, and can be regulated with the volume knob. I would also expect it to be gooped, in a very large enclosure (much larger than the PCB), and naturally, it should cost around $500.:Devil

9. 65sam

65sam Member

I always wanted to build a 'Blame Shifter" If you hit a bad note click it on and it drops the other guitar player down a half step.

10. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

When running sound, I detuned my friends guitar down a step or two during his guitar solo. He could not figure out why his guitar sounded WAY out of tune until he saw me at the board laughing uncontrollably.

------- oh, and my pedal is:

I want to create a hum/noise pedal called the Hummer. It just picks up radio waves and electromagnetic interference more than any other pedal ever made. It will also have tubes, because they sound better.

11. guitarguy9597

guitarguy9597 Member

How about a "distractor" pedal called "Ground Beast". It simulates the sound of a cable end fritzin' out either on demand or with a tap tempo. It also models a 60 or 120 cycle hum. If the set is falling apart just hit the switch...instant excuse to stop.

12. aziltz

aziltz Member

how about a pedal that has 2 ins, one out. you stomp and your guitar is disconnected, and the ace guitarist standing backstage is now riffing through your amp.

oh wait, that does exist...Someone should guitar sync.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Suddenly it becomes a useful pedal :BEER (of COURSE it would have that knob).

based on the old joke about the guy banging his head against a wall, stopping, then smiling...getting asked why he does that..."because it feels so good when I stop"...

You use the DeadString pedal thus, put on brand new strings, set string age to max (oldest), play for a week or so, gradually each week you turn the age just a touch counter clockwise....voila, STABLE sound, as your REAL strings age, they sound the same because you are "time travelling" the strings with the pedal the same amount back in time!

At some point they meet and the world blows up!

14. lespauldoc

lespauldoc Member

LMAO!!! +1!!!

With a John Mayer Trio sticker on the side.... ha.

G-man, that made my morning.

15. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

Or another way of thinking, at some point they meet and suddenly you're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home, install them in the guitar, play for a week, adjust the pedal, play, adjust, play adjust, then suddenly... Bam! You're back at the guitar store, buying that first pair of strings. You go home....

16. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Boss beat you to it, the TU2 tuner!

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

....and the name of the music store, "Groundhog Music"

18. BoyWearingVans

BoyWearingVans Member

dead string sound.

that new Moog guitar, has the string deadening/ sustaining thing.

wild sounds

19. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

best useless pedal concept ever-
    A pedal with a buncha knobs, lights, switches and inputs and outputs that does nothing. Just there to make people go WTF! or you could sell it to someone for serious cash...

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Oh..you mean a compressor!