New V-Picks Slide Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bobe, Jun 25, 2008.

1. bobe

bobe Member

I just received their new slide. Then, they sent me an email asking where I learned of it and asking me to share my thoughts with others. Well, here is the whole email for your review and consideration:

----- Original Message ----
    [Admin Edit..........We don't allow the posting of someone's email, especially showing their email address]

Since you asked, I'm giving you my honest opinion for whatever that is worth.

I'm a TGP member and see/read V-pick posts every single day/week for at least a year now.

This medium (.75 inch) inside diameter 2.25 inch length slide is my first V-Pick purchase. I find the bevels at the ends to be very comfortable and functional. I like the fit of the slide on my finger. I like the weight, although I wouldn't mind a heavier slide for thicker walls if there was some tone alteration for the better.

Because I'm using a National Tricone which has quite a wide fretboard, I would like the slide to be even longer than the 2.25 length. Just barely covers all 6 strings if I use it perfectly.

I find the tone to be good, leaning toward warmish with a volume diminished from glass, or brass, or steel. I'm a bit disappointed because the tone on my Tricone and 70's Dobro is muffled by it. I really wanted to love it because the size and weight and comfort and ruggedness are great. But, worse than the tone loss compared to bronze or glass, is the stickiness of it on wound strings. Glides nicely on unwound and has the best tone on them. But, the wound strings really bite into it and create a resistance I don't have with any other slide of any other material. Either I got a bum one or it just works better on unwound and electric guitar strings. What do you think? I would like to try one more if you make a new version or are willing to make me one that is a bit different to fit the National better.

My review at this point is that it is best suited to electric guitar where the plastic softens the screechy scratchy noises of slide playing with pick-ups and amplification. I will not use it for acoustic unless I'm seeking a pleasantly softer, gentler effect. Muffled is too strong of a description. The ice pick tones are removed, but a little too much of the defining upper frequency range for acoustics IMHO. The slide has an effect on tone that I can describe best using photography as an example. Like photos where the edges are blurred or misted to create a romantic effect or the impression of looking back in time at an old memory. I hope this makes sense to somebody. Not a bad thing at all, just another tone shaping tool in the kit bag.

Respectfully yours,

Bob E. from CT aka MIDIme

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  2. Thor

Thor Member

Very thoughtful and thorough review. Thanks for posting this.

Cheers,

Edward

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Any pic's of the slide?

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, pics. I have V-picks, but no slide...did not know of it until now. I guess I'll check the site.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The slides have been on the V-Picks site for about a month or so now. I have one of each size. I play on the middle finger usually. The large is too big for me, and the regular is too small. However, the regular fits my RING finger perfectly, so now I can start playing slide on theat finger too. Its light weight makes it easy to handle, where I could never handle a slide on that finger before.

Tone-wise, the V-Pick slide sounds very close to glass, with no scratchiness. Definitely not your grandpa's slide!

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Wow, that sounds exactly like my dream slide . . .

7. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I just checked Vinni's site & saw no slide....?

Tony

8. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member