New valves for a Cornford MK50H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MK50H, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MK50H

MK50H Member

As you can probably guess I'm a bit of a Cornford fan, I've had a few of these but the MK50H is the best IMO.

I stuffed some Yellow Jackets & JJ's in mine the other day, and it sounded really good. I think that it showed me that my Sovtek 5881WXT's are at the end of there best.

So, now I need some new 5881's, but I'm confused what to get: 6L6's, 5881WXT, 5881, NOS, some sellers have them graded for hotter, or cooler.

What I want are some good quality valves that'll bring out the best from my lovely amp. I do find that it can be a little over-emphasised low down at the moment. I use mine with 2x12 V30 closed back cab.
    To me the MK50H does lovely cleans, and great fat distorted blues/rock whilst still retaining clarity and richness.

I cannot afford to get fancy tubes these days, so NOS Tung Sol's are out.

What would you get, Cornford still use the Sovtek 5881WXT's, are these the best?

I may swap out a few preamp tubes to, so again what would you use?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The Tung Sol Reissue 5881s are quite good at about 1/4 the price of NOS. These are a step up from the Sovtek 5881s.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Make sure that the amp can handle the new TungSol's. I know my amp is designed around the Sovtek 5881 (which is described as 'not really a 5881...they just don't know what to call it') and would destroy any other tube.

Got any clips of your Cornford?
    EP

4. MK50H

MK50H Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Are the Tung Sol Reissue's broadly similar to the Sovtek 5881WXT? I have read stuff about some valves in the 5881/6L6 familiy not being truly what they are described as. I don't know where the 5881WXT will fit into the picture, I think that the 5881WXT is the same as the 6L6GC.

Can you confirm this?

5. MK50H

MK50H Member

Thanks for the warning, I had read that all valves are not as labelled, I believe that the WXT's are much the same as 6L6GC valves.

Not as yet, although I guess I am close to recording some stuff with a new musical partner. Maybe in a week or two.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Since few, if any, new production tubes meet the specifications of the original tubes, it's complicated.

The 5881WXTs handle the higher plate voltages of 6L6GCs, but bias more closely to 5881s. The Tung Sol Reissue 5881s sound better than the WXTs to most listeners, but are closer to the original 5881s in terms of specs.

Bottom line, if your plate voltage is 450 or below (this is the deciding factor for whether power tubes are safe enough, in this case) you'll be ok with the Tung Sol Reissues.

7. MK50H

MK50H Member

Thanks for all your help. In the end I thought I was gonna get the SED 6L6GC, I then checked what I had lying around.

I had some Philips JAN 6L6WGB, and a few preamp tubes. I wasn't sure if I could use any of these.

I contacted dougstubes to see what he thought, expecting to send him an order. To my surprise, he told me to use what I had. :eek:

Well, it's early days but so far it sounds a lot better. :D

I'll have get some new tubes soon from Doug & KCA to pay for the free advice.

8. myles111

myles111 Member

When the amp was over at GT we took out the 5881 Sovteks and tossed in a set of 6L6GE's in a #6 rating and rebiased the amp and the Cornford rep at the time liked it better than the stock setup. So did everybody for the most part.

Then again .... it is all personal taste.

9. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

Did you ever try the Tung-Sol 5881s in your amp and what you thought of them if you did? I am curious what you set the bias at too. I spoke with Doug last night and he said that these tubes would handle 500volts, mine is at 464volts. I sent an email to Cornford about it but haven't heard back yet.

10. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

I asked this question on several forums and got no response, oh well. I asked a couple of tube gurus about this tube in the Cornford and they said it would handle 500v, no problem.

So.....

I put a pair in along with All Tung-Sol 12AX7s, balanced in the PI and I am AMAZED, frackin' AMAZED I tell you, at the tone this amp cranks out!!! I checked the bias, it's around 30ma w/464v at the plate from line voltage at my house of 123v.

This is what a Marshall SHOULD sound like. Actually this is not even fair to compare. This is more like a VHT Deliverance meets Marshall meets Bad Cat meets Soldano with 2 master volumes, a dirt boost, pre and post EQ and a tone stack that actually allows your guitar volume and tone controll do something to your sound. I was seriously GAS'ing for a Splawn, I have changed my mind.

And.....

When I couldn't get an answer about the biasing questioni I called the UK and spoke with the guy that built my amp, Martin Kid, and he was the MOST polite, respectful, interested customer service-oriented person I have ever dealt with. This is a great amp AND a Great company that makes these things.

I am going to buy another next year.

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Of the new Tung-Sols I take it. I have a MK50H that I really like with the stock Sovteks in it. When it's time I suppose tht Tung-Sols will get a try.

12. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

Give Doug At Dougstubes.com a shout, he'll set you up.

These are really amazing tubes in this amp. I really like everything about my Cornford, the Tung-Sol 5881s and preamp tubes just made it better.