• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Version of HM Strat - Do you think it was a flop for Fender?

The Eristic

Cut corners on the hardware, would rather just buy an original rather than sink money into modding. Now if they get crazy blowout pricing, otoh......

Cap Carlos

They could have made this model special, a decent well equipped super strat at the right price would have filled a nice niche. I really did want the 25.1 scale. But the Charvels are really nice! Love the placement of their output jack! All modern super Strats should have that!

Mangy71

Cut corners on the hardware, would rather just buy an original rather than sink money into modding. Now if they get crazy blowout pricing, otoh......
I put a Dimarzio Tone Zone in mine, but when I listed it on FB marketplace for $600 I didn't even get a nibble.

M

Member 161675

Fender is really adding lots of Models.MIJ surprised me.. Even the EVH 5150 series looks like a nice deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I think it failed for a few reasons:

1. Price was too dang high!
2. Specs were weird (25.1" scale length) or crappy (FR Special).
3. Competing with themselves. Fender owns Jackson and Charvel who both make very similar guitars with better specs for way cheaper.
4. Those of us who fondly recall guitars of our youth in the 80s probably realized they weren't as good as we remembered!
Agreed - except for the first half of your 2nd point: the 25.1" scale was the original spec. Granted that throws off those who weren't aware of that about the originals, but it was true to concept.

At that price it was just too much cheapening compared to the components vs. the originals - considering you can still find originals in decent condition for less than the price of these reissues.

So my post-mortem would be: quirky guitar from the late 80s/early 90s, not as big a market as they thought, downgraded components didn't help considering the price.

StreetwalkinCheetah

I have an original with the red/white/blue wiring which I think means USA built? in great condition (has some stickers and the frets need a cleaning, maybe one blemish on the back of the paint, but it would clean up really nicely, Kahler has not been stripped, etc.) and I think I'd be lucky to get 3/4s what they were asking for a reissue that dropped the ball in a few areas.

I did take the opportunity to get myself a Strat t-shirt though.

S3bird

If I found one for the right price and happened to be in an 80s mood I might snatch one. I remember the local shop had a pink one back in the day which at the time I thought was pretty cool. However a used Dinky scratched that 80s Superstrat itch.

Thought the new ones are a lot of money aparently like everyone else.

Matt L

I was slightly excited when these were announced, having been in the prime of my youth and a big Greg Howe fan when he was playing the originals. When I found out they had a freaking FR Special on them at $1200 or whatever they are new, it definitely soured me a bit. If they had simply given it an original FR, or even a Gotoh or better version, it would have really changed the value perception.

I’ve got a yellow one at my shop. It’s gotten little attention. I think they’re priced a bit high for the build....Charvel and other Super Strats seem to offer better specs at a more attractive price point

CanuckChris

Agreed - except for the first half of your 2nd point: the 25.1" scale was the original spec. Granted that throws off those who weren't aware of that about the originals, but it was true to concept.
Yep. I realize this is why they did it, but I meant it would throw off most modern day players. Is it a Fender scale length? Nope, too short. Gibson? Nope, too long. PRS? Oh yeah, that must be it, it's a PRS :D

Howzaboppin

Really a niche market for people that started playing in the late '80s when the original version was released by Fender. I'm one of those guys though.
Me too. But at my age I don't see myself playing a guitar in one of those colors. Extra demerits for painting the headstock a different color.

Mangy71

Me too. But at my age I don't see myself playing a guitar in one of those colors. Extra demerits for painting the headstock a different color.
Regarding the colors - I agree that the pink and yellow were too loud for me personally, so I ended up buying the white/rosewood version.

Re: the headstock - the original version from the late '80s had black painted headstocks - it wouldn't have looked right if they had done color matched (which I assume you would prefer).

monty

I think it failed for a few reasons:

1. Price was too dang high!
2. Specs were weird (25.1" scale length) or crappy (FR Special).
3. Competing with themselves. Fender owns Jackson and Charvel who both make very similar guitars with better specs for way cheaper.
4. Those of us who fondly recall guitars of our youth in the 80s probably realized they weren't as good as we remembered!
Agree except for #4. Those 80s shredders were awesome guitars!

DonP

I don't know much about the new ones since I have 3 of the old ones. I played a couple of them a few days ago for the first time in a long while. What struck me was the really wide range of tones I could get. The TBX really works pretty good.

I have one completely stock. Black with a maple neck.

Another (pink with a dark rosewood neck) has a BNK Warpig in the bridge and 2 Aria Rail pickups. I wired the mini switch into a three way, where in the middle everything is humbucking, in one direction the singles are split, and the other way the Warpig is split. This one doesn't have a TBX but still has a wide array of tones.

My last one is the rarer H-S one with the Tele looking pic guard. It was painted like a WWII fighter LOL!, but has the most flamey neck (rosewood on top). I need to pull that one out. It hasn't seen daylight in years.

Drew816

Chupacabra Psychiatrist and Meme Thief
Silver Supporting Member
Hey Fender, these were never that "popular" the first time around. Do you think something changed? ;)

I owned a 80's version for a short while, it was fine and I think I paid like $400-500 for it? Wasn't a huge fan of the color, needed a refret, funky trem and released back into the wild.

I think "new" versions of this will be sitting around available for a while yet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom