New Victoria(s) at NAMM?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by duckbunny, Jan 22, 2008.

1. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

I read somewhere on the page that someone here had seen at least one new Victoria model. Does anyone know anything about this? Have any of you NAMM attendees played this beast or beasts? I'm really interested, and searching hasn't turned up a thing anywhere!

Thanks,

-db

2. Brien

Brien Member

I believe it's called the Golden Melody. It's kind of like a beefed up Victorilux- 2-12 ceramics. The tremolo is amazing, it can do things that I've never heard a tremolo do. I could get a steel pan effect out of it, which was really cool. Overall, a really nice amp.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Is that the one with the Tweed Vibrolux vibrato circuit? I played through it - it was incredible. I don't know if it's a new model or not, but it's a wonderful model.

As I walked by, Stevie Gurr was playing through it, and it was heavenly. Sounded good when I played through it too (GRIN).

Dana O.

4. Brien

Brien Member

I think it's supposed to be similar to what's in the Reverberato.

5. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

I got some photos of them. I will try to get them up this weekend......they looked really nice.

6. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

Hung out with the guy from Victoria for a bit and he showed us the new amps. One is based on an old Gibson GA-40, and the other one is a '59 Bassman with reverb and the trem from a Brownface Concert. The trem was pretty sick. Very very thick and throbby.

7. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

i think if you want an old gibson you should look buffalo amps. Rob really knows his stuff. great guy too!

http://www.buffaloamps.com/

8. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Supporting Member

I'd like to see some pictures and hear some more about these amps.

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I saw the new amps - they look really cool. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play them. One of the new amps was also on display at the Jensen booth. Here is a photo that I found on another forum. The Victoria is the two-tone amp just to the right of center (behind what looks to be a Brown-faced Fender/clone.[​IMG]

I did finally play the Regal 2 and was totally smitten! Mark also had a Reverberato in the booth which is interesting because it had been discontinued. I guess they are expensive to build and they don't make much money on them. Perhaps they found a way to make it more efficiently.

Terry

10. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

The ElectroKing is a 1x12" w/'regular' trem circuit - 20 watts & breaks up in an incredible way. Killer amp for the studio!

The Golden Melody is 2x12 w/the coolest vib/trem circuit I've ever heard! 50 watts & absolutely to die for! It's the best 'vintagey' amp I heard at NAMM this year & I shall be ordering one in the next 3 months!

11. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Oh. Dear.

Either there's an alien about erupt from my chest or I just got seized by tremendous GAS pains.

12. Gumby

Gumby Member

Very cool, thanks for the link.

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

When I walked into the Victoria booth, Carl Verheyen was playing through one of the new amps. Of course, the amp sounded great when Carl played through it. He was playing with the gain, and the amp started to overdrive nicely. He seemed to like the amp a lot.

Carl was playing a guitar they had there, but I don't recall what it was. Does anyone know what these guitars were?
    They had a greenish tint to them, and a sleek headstock.

14. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

that new gibby clone looks really cool!!!

... then again ... so does this ... :D

Gibson Mariner - A very rare Crestline version of the GA-40T

[​IMG]

15. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I think they shared a booth with Harvey Citron guitars.

Terry

16. VLJ

VLJ Member

Regarding the new '59 Bassman with the trem and reverb included, I just got off the phone with Mark after I called him to ask all about it...

Here's what he said...

-It'll be called the Golden Melody. It'll be available in four to six weeks and who knows if or when he'll ever get around to updating his website to include it.

-It'll initially only be offered in a 2x12 open back combo with a different speaker baffle board than something like the Victorilux. Even though it's a Bassman circuit and to me that means a 4x10 he's reluctant right now to offer it up in either a 4x10 or a 1x15. He wants to keep it as a 2x12, at least for a little while. Down the road a bit, who knows?

-He's uncertain at the moment as to which speakers he'll end up using with it, and he's open to suggestions. Ceramics, alnicos, he's open at the moment.

-He says the new baffle board combined with the 2x12s makes for a LOUD amp. Like any other Bassman, not a good living room amp. Killer gigging amp.

-It'll only come with the two tone cosmetics; the one in the vid that vaguely looks like a Bluesbreaker combo, that's it. It won't be available with the usual Victoria tweed look.

-It'll include a footswitch for reverb and trem.

-The reverb and trem are directly lifted from his Reverberato unit, which means the reverb and trem differ from the units in his Victorilux and Regal II. One other difference is that while the trem will employ the usual two speed and intensity controls the reverb will be a single knob control rather than the Reverberato's three knob controls. Mark says the reverb and especially the trem on this new amp will blow away the reverb and trem on the Regal II and the Victorilux, which I think are already among the best of each type I've ever sampled. He says the trem will be a lot "swampier" than his Victorilux/Regal II trem. It won't do the volume fluctuation thing the way it does on the other amps. He says it nearly has a vibe feel, kinda like a Leslie effect, rather than being a straight Blackface style tremolo.

Oh, and his favorite amp of all is still the Regal II.

:D

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

That sounds sweet. Since I'm looking for an amp more slanted towards playing out than playing in, that could be the ticket

The trem in the Reverberato is astoundingly good; iirc it's based off the circuit in the bigger brown amps (as someone noted earlier.) Probably my favorite trem ever. The three knob reverb is also good, but with those I've tended to find a setting I like & just adjust the mix, so the loss of the 'extra' knobs is actually good, as far as I'm concerned. I had a Reverberato for a while, and then moved it -- you know how it goes. ;)

Thanks for the head's up. Even if I didn't really need to hear all this....

18. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

isn't the Regal II supposed to have the Tremolux tremolo?

19. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

20. Brien

Brien Member

Looks like Mark updated his website. Check out the new models right on the homepage.