New video review: Fender Telecaster Hot Rod 52

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mojocaster.com, Jan 2, 2008.

1. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Received my new Fender Telecaster Hot Rod 52 today - that's what I call starting the new year the right way :)

As promised to some, I went ahead and made a quick video review.

You can find it here.

This is one sweet guitar. I love the mini humbucker in the neck position. My only gripe is that I remembered the neck to be much chunkier on the one I tried in the store, and so I was a little bit disappointed from that standpoint. Other than that it's a fantastic Tele.

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I do like that mini hum!

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I do too... it's my favorite thing on that guitar, actually :)

4. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

I always enjoy your reviews.

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I was going to make another video with some distortion, since the mini hum shines with that sort of stuff, but it is currently strung with heavy gauge and my wrists are begging for mercy :(

A little later maybe :)

6. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Great review!

7. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

i know you said you like the neck, but do you ever find it becoming very sticky?

thats what i notice with my hot rod 52

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I played the guitar for over three hours last night, and didn't have that problem with it. The only thing I don't like on this guitar is actually the neck. Too thin for me. Then again, this is totally subjective. This guitar lives up to expectations in all objective aspects.

9. Marcello

Marcello Member

cool review thanks !

10. jimmydeuce

jimmydeuce Member

Great review. I'm thinking about picking one of these up so I'm glad you posted this.

11. Lammy

Lammy Member

I love mine. +1!!

12. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I love mine as well. Its my first tele and Ive sifted through quite a few. This was the only one I felt good with coming from strat

The neck can feel sticky at time for me as well. Not overly sticky but noticeable compared to the satin wood back of my JM strat. It actually begins to feel LESS sticky the more I play (hand sweat). Im hoping that the inital sticky feeling goes away with time, or, I can just steel wool it down.

The bridge pup bites! Man, its just so gripping. On my axe, the bridge pup is slightly hotter than the mini bucker in volume. I may need to re-adjust them to get them equal in volume, but this may have been Fender's intent also. The bucker is nice and smooth and the warmest position (obviously being at the neck) and is nice for rhythm but can be good for solo's when boosted. The middle position is also good for rhythm and with a solo boost. The bridge would need the tone rolled back a little to be a rhythm position, but perfect for soloing.

Neck feels great (U shape). Frets are very nice. Im playin mine out straight from the factory. The action is probably perfect for most and has 10's. Me, Im different. I think once I take mine in for a setup to raise the action a bit and put 11's on, I'll be in tele heaven (im pretty close as it is!) :D But even as is, I can still whail on it comfortably.

Question/statement: People have raised questions about the finish on it. Fender's site says it has a thin skin nitro finish (as in just nitro, no poly). But some have said only custom shop guitars are that way; all others are poly with a layer of nitro over them. In the case (a gorgeous vintage tweed with orange interior), it comes with a piece of paper saying how the finish naturally ages and fender can not warranty the aging and such. With Fender recently introducing the limited thin-skin finished 52 tele's and their site saying it has a thin-skin finish; Id be surprised if the hot rod 52 tele was NOT all nitro. Other models with nitro are listed as a nitro finish, but not specifically a thin-skin finish. I believe this to be the difference maker. Anyone with more info?

I was going to give a FULL tone report as well but with the holidays and such...just been swamped as of late. this is my review as of now ;)

nice review mojo!

13. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I guess my main guitar is a "hot rod tele". Its an eighties 52RI that I added the mini-humbucker in years ago....love the mini in a tele....nice review & tones.

[​IMG]

14. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

15. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Holy crap, what a gorgeous guitar!

16. brazilianguy

brazilianguy Member

Mojo, nice review and great guitar!

BTW, I really enjoyed the MicroCube review. I was thinking of getting one sometime ago. Now that my - crap - amp is broken I finally have a good reason :D

17. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks man. Yes, those little microcubes are fun for the money, no question. Actually, when I first played this tele, it was through my microcube... and it sounded good, especially on the overdriven channels :)

18. mcalldp

mcalldp Member

I just started going to your site Mojo, it's very cool of you to put in the time to share your information with all of us, so thanks for that!

I've got a 52 reissue tele and the hotrod version looks very interesting as well but I hate that it's only available in one finish. My 52 is an early one when they still made them in black and copper (I have a black one) the hot rod would be more interesting if it had a few more choices in this area.

I like the neck on the 52 as it's nice and chunky, I'll have to get out and play a hotrod but I hope they are comparable.

19. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks, I am glad to help :)

A copper 52 hot rod would be hot :love:

20. drod2045

drod2045 Member

a copper hot rod would be very interesting indeed. esp a translucent copper so you could still the ash grain :D