New video series: DIY "High End" Guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ML Sound Lab, May 21, 2019.

1. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

Hey - this is my first post in the luthier's section and I thought I'd share this video series I just started working on where I'll go through every step of building an electric guitar. My good friend Janne is mainly responsible for the build and he's done some really nice guitars and basses.

Here's our "Ferrari":
    [​IMG]

Here's the 7-string and 8-string "Terminators":
    [​IMG]

And here's one of the basses:
    [​IMG]

Here are some 3D illustrations of the new guitar we'll be doing this summer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The spec will be:
    -27" scale 6-string baritone
    -ML Sound Lab Teal / Porsche color
    -Evertune bridge
    -Black hardware
    -All our usual features - luminlays, locking tuners, tusq nut etc.

It's going to be a fun project. If you're interested I highly recommend subbing to the ML Sound Lab YouTube page and hitting that bell as well so you'll get notified when there's a new video up. Well start the build very soon.

2. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

Posting the part II video in here where we get to work:

Please let me know if you're interested and I'll continue posting. :)

bojocatkite likes this.
  3. Timtam

Timtam Member

Sure, keep posting more like the 2nd vid which had more actual interesting content. ;)

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  4. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

That's great! Yeah I agree that the most exciting part will be actually making the guitar. I think once it's all done I'll have to create one big super sped up video of the whole process - preferably with a song written with this new guitar. :)

5. Ranch Dubois

Ranch Dubois Member

I hope Music Man doesn't come after you guys. These pretty much look like 27" scale Lukathers and daddy Ernie Ball don't play around, legally. Trust me, I'm a lawyer whose been fighting the good fight for Ranch for many moons

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  6. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Looks like they're just building for themselves and not in the US so unless they start selling their guitars and EBMM has protection over their 4+2 headstock arrangement internationally they don't really have anything to worry about.

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  7. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

Yeah these are just for our own fun at least for now. The headstock 4+2 is definitely a Music Man thing although our 8-string is 5+3 and we've done it before Music Man. :) Also the 4-string baritones are super fun with a 3+1 headstock but that's got to be a Fender bass thing right? Here's a video of me playing it by the way:

About the body shape though - from experience I can say that the Music Man Petrucci body shape without contours is almost identical to an Ibanez RG shape which is the guitar that Petrucci used before Music Man. Now that's lawsuit worthy. :D

8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The 4 string is cool. How are you tuning them? Looks kinda like the Wes Borland setup with the 4th string an octave below the 3rd but hard to tell for sure.

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  9. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

That's what the guitar was designed to do (my friend plays in a LB cover band) but I tuned it to F# "standard" if I remember correctly. :)