New Vox 2X12 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Turnipfarmer, May 22, 2006.

1. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

Y'know the two by twelves for the new ac30cc. With the low rent speakers they go for $299. Thats a sweet deal if they are anything like the vintage Vox 2X12 Cabs. And i'd beat the piss out of the stock speakers and eventually replace them with Webers.

2. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

Bump- doesn't anyone have one of these? Seems like a great deal- unless they're hunks of crap- I've never seen one or talked to anyone who has!

3. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

I bought one and swapped in a V30/G12H30 mix to use with my Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RVH. It is a perfectly good cabinet and now I have two Wharfedales to list on the emporium or ebay as soon as I get around to it. If you buy an empty cabinet new it will cost you $250 minimum for a decent one when you include shipping.

4. glman

glman Member

I have a 2x12 vox BNX - 2 Celestion Blues

Cab sounds great and is very well built.

I would have liked the vox logo to have been metal and the handles to be leather but it's still a decent cab

I'm using it with an Alessandro English and it really sings!

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

I think they use 13-ply marine-grade baltic birch, which was the standard for most of the English manufacturers back in the day, so it would be pretty tough to go wrong. I wouldn't pay for the Blue-loaded cab, though. You'd be getting Chinese Blues and paying a fortune for them. Buy the Wharfie-loaded cab, buy a pair of UK-made Blues from Avatar and save some money!

6. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

The speakers in those cabs are actually Celestion GH30s. Vox relabled them as does Marshall.

7. retro

retro Member

Can anyone confirm if the $299.00 V212 are made using baltic birch ply?

I see the Vox AD212 for $449.00 mentions baltic birch ply construction. But I've never seen anything confirming the construction on the $299.00 V212.

8. glman

glman Member

the Blues that come in the Vox cab are built in U.K unless the manual is incorrect.
    It clearly states it the vox manual that the Blues are UK made Celestions.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

The first CCs came with UK Blues. The current CCs come with Chinese Blues.

The following is an e-mail I received on the subject from Vox/Korg's Mitch Colby:

The Vox Blue up until a couple of months ago was identical to the
    Celestion Blue. Celestion is now making the Vox blue at their factory in
    China. The Celestion Blue is still made in the UK. Based on history and
    our testing, the ones coming out of China are more consistent and sound
    more like Vintage Blues than the ones made in the UK. I know it's hard
    to believe but it's true.

They are underrated. I have seen vintage Blues that were used in Fender
    Twin Reverbs for years without blowing although I wouldn't recommend it.
    I have personally bought vintage AC30s with original unreconed Blues.

They are rated at 15 watts but can probably handle more like 20 with a
    distorted signal and somewhat more with a clean signal.

They are expensive and the low failure rate is a good thing. If they
    were blowing all the time we would probably have to change to another
    speaker option.

Mitch

And here's a response from Korg's Steve Grindrod:

Actually Ian White (technical boss of Celestion) and myself spent two years developing the Chinese manufactured Blue, testing, double testing, and triple testing every stage of the way.
    The intention was to make it sound as near to an original one as we could - and which we did, and to make it so much more consistant than it was - again which we did. There was no way we would entertain moving the production until I was happy, as the main reasonfor moving was to reduce shipping costs and subsequent damage. Seeing both VOX abd Celestion have production factories an hour apart in China, it made a lot of sense to see if it could be done.
    I finally spent several days just playing and measuring two controlled build batches of China and UK made speakers. It was difficult to believe how good the China ones were......

As to the price, and how we at VOX are money-grabbing B*****d's, the actual price of the speaker isn't THAT much cheaper than we were making it in the UK. The main cost is the ALNICO which for the grade and size we use is by far the most expensive part of the speaker by a long, long way, and ALNICO costs the same where ever you are in the world! The main saving was in shipping.
    And you may or may not believe this depending on how cynical you are or not about us here at VOX , but as we were anticipating getting it right and being able to use the chinese made speakers pretty soon after starting production of the AC30CCs we actually absorbed the cost difference rather than passing it on.

Hence there was no way that we could lower the price because we have always sold at the reduced price.

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I just joined a new band last week and the other guitarist had a Vox 2x12 cabinet that looked pretty new. I'll check it out at practice this week.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Hey thanks for validating an earth shaking statement like Blues being made in China. I for one believe there made there but not the rest of the rubbish. :worried :grudge :BITCH

12. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    FWIW, I have a Hayseed with UK-made Celestion Blues and have demo'd a recently-made AC30CC2x, almost certainly with the Chinese-made Blues (Sino-Blues?). The blues in the Vox sound as they should in that amp, which is to say they sound great.