New Vox AC30CC1 owner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WetWildWest, Mar 10, 2015.

1. WetWildWest

WetWildWest Member

Hello all,

I just bought a AC30CC1 for a great price because it's a little beat up and the previous owner had a few mods done to it.

1. R6 & R7 changed to vintage spec (I'm leaving that as-is)
    2. R31 & R32 are jumpered (can anyone explain what this does?)
    3. R41 & R42 are clipped on one side (no idea why)
    4. C4, C6 & C22 removed altogether (again, no idea why)
    5. C13 bright cap removed

The amp sounds great but during band practice (at higher volume than I played it before), a faint burnt smell came from the vents. I opened it up to check and saw the first two power tubes (next to the tube rectifier) had their stickers half burned. Power tubes are Ruby Tubes. I ran the amp outside its cabinet and noticed the power tubes run pretty hot. I changed the bias switch on the back to 82 ohm as I heard it's closer to pre '61 AC30 and the tubes don't run so hot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

not familiar with the AC30CC1, it has a completely different speaker right? A Vox "Neo Dog" speaker rated at 37 watts?

3. hacinador

hacinador Member

It seams that the quartet of EL84 is not matched enough. It can be matched when new, but now after some hours on it individuals tube can have very different parameters each one. I had this problem very often :-/ Tubes are running hot in AC30.

4. WetWildWest

WetWildWest Member

Yep, it has the Celestion Neodog. I considered replacing it with a Gold after reading quite a few negative comments about the Neodog but I like the sound, plus I already have a Gold for my AC30HWH.

5. WetWildWest

WetWildWest Member

Can anyone shed some light on the missing C4, C6 and C22 caps? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the 2 power tubes burning too hot...

6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

The NeoDog was also in their older AVT series. Pretty good speaker, very underrated.